Potassium Rich Foods

Options
2»

Replies

• ronaldmcyd
    ronaldmcyd Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    As other posters have said the potassium info is not on all the labels, and it's represented as zero in most of the foods it is in on this site. I have found Spinach to be the best source for me. But if your eating fruits, veggies, dairy, meat, or legumes. You should check other sites to help you estimate what your currently taken it.

something else to note is Potassium and sodium have a balance in your body, and the use of salt substitutes can drastically tip the scale. As salt substitutes are basically potassium
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    If it turns out you really are lagging in potassium, a can or two of Low Sodium V8 will do the trick. It's loaded with potassium. I drink one if I get a charlie horse. Doesn't taste that great, but if it's super cold, it's fine. Nutritional supplements (pills) are only legally allowed to contain 99mg of potassium in the US - that's about 3% of your daily recommended amount - due to the whole Na/K balance thing. So don't just go loading up on potassium with abandon, because like others have said, you can really screw up your electrolyte balance if you go overboard. Maybe put some real salt into the V8 to be safe, if you keep your sodium intake low otherwise. It'll possibly taste a little better, too... heck, I've seen my mother put salt into a glass of REGULAR V8 - seriously. :grumble: