Qs about heart rate and fitness levels

Hi! Fairly new here, first time poster, occasional lurker. I'm four weeks into my eight-week half marathon training. I'm running the VA Beach Rock N Roll, my very first half marathon, ever. I'm nervous!

Anyway, I generally run outside, but the other day I did my mid-week four mile run on the treadmill, thanks to a late start and 95+ degree weather. I noticed running at my usual pace, about 11-11:30 min mile, my heart rate hovered aroune 140. In the past, I've noticed it usually is higher, like 160 range at the same pace. I realize I'm getting into better shape, which is a good thing! So my question is, should I push it harder, or is this the pace I'm at? Running faster feels more uncomfortable still. I can hang in a 10:30 mile for maybe a mile, but I need to figure out how to pace. What should be my target heart rate?

Thanks!
Cathy

Replies

• dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Running outside and running on the treadmill are completly different. Your heart rate may be lower now due to your conditioning, but it you want to improve your time i suggest always pushing it at a higher rate and your body will be forced to adapt. Your target HR depends on your goal. For running a marathon in the shortest time period, you need to train with high intensity to push your lactic threshold. For fat-loss, train at 65% of your max HR (Max HR = 220-age)