1 month - How much can go??

JRJRJR
JRJRJR Posts: 4
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok heres the deal. I want to lose as much weight as possible in one month. Is it unrealistic to think that I can lose 10 pounds (if I stay within my calorie limit and exercise 5X a week? I am 22, 5'8'' about 152 pounds)? I'm kinda new at this so any experienced opinions would be lovely! Thanks :)

Replies

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Why the urgency?
  • vitabella
    vitabella Posts: 34 Member
    Hey! First i just wanted to say, being 5'8'' and 158 pounds is a great weight for your height so just be careful! Anyways, loseing 10 pounds in 1 month can be hard, but it can be done! What i did to lose weight the first time was...
    Breakfast: 3/4 cup egg whites, 1/2 cup unflavored oatmeal, small apple
    Lunch: 4oz grilled chicken, or fish, 1/2 to 1 cup of steamed veggies no butter. 2 tbsp brown rice
    snack: 3oz chicken, small salad light dressing
    Dinner: 4 oz chicken or fish, small salad, steamed veggies

should be about 1,000 calories. It worked for me. I just cant do that diet now because well its so boring and bland but it works! especially when adding light but quick intense weight training.

NO butter
    NO soda
    NO sugar
    NO pork, beef
    NO dairy other than egg whites

i did have 2 cheat meals a week but they couldnt be more than 600 calories each.

Good luck!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Don't eat below 1200 cals per day as a minimum, and at your height you should be eating more--don't forget to eat your exercise cals, you will still have a calorie deficit and lose weight. It's better to lose slowly so you keep it off. Also, I have to agree, 152 lbs. and 5'8" is just fine as it is.
  • vraehn
    vraehn Posts: 1,008
    How have you been doing? I think it is totally possible as long as you imput your meals before you eat them to see if they are in your limit. I am on 1250 per day and divide it into 3 meals and snacks (even though I rarely eat a snack). Then before I eat the meal I check out the calories. Sometimes dinner is nothing but lots of salad with rice vinegar or just salt and pepper. I'm sure you already do that.

It can be done.:smile:
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    In my opinion, yes, that's very unrealistic. I'm not saying there isn't the slim possibility of some dangerous, miracle potion somewhere, and an unhealthy way to do it- but I think it's a very unrealistic goal. If this were possible, realistic, and healthy, wouldn't just about everyone on here do it?

Just my opinion... take it for what it's worth.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Well, MFP sets you up to lose 2 pounds/ week (at my weight, anyhow), so that's 8 pounds in a month. If you're just starting out, you'll probably lose a couple extra pounds to begin with, so I would think 10 pounds in a month would certainly be attainable.
    __

My calorie deficit is set at 1000 cals/ day, so to lose that extra couple of pounds would require me to have a deficit of about 1130 cals/ day.

If you have less weight to lose and/ or if your weight loss goal is set to less than 2 pounds/ week, 10 pounds in a month may be out of reach.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    A lot will depend on your body composition.

If you're 5'8 - 158 with a skinnygirl build and you're carrying 50 pounds of bodyfat, then yeah, probably not a problem. You won't lose 10 pounds every month 'til you reach goal, but the first month you should be able to drop 10 pounds of easy stuff.

But if you're a 5'8 - 158 pound powerlifter and you're already less than 20% bodyfat then heck no, no way.

So what's your body comp like?
  • I lost about 10 pounds in my first month, but I was much more overweight than you, and shorter. I am just now back down to 157 and I am 5"1', good luck.
  • Hey all - thanks for the replies.
    I think the weight gain was from a medication I was on. I'm normally around 140. I guess there is no absolute rush to lose weight in just one month, and id be happy to lose 8 pounds and not ten. My composition is pretty atheletic, im not huge boned or anything but im not a twig, I tend to gain weight around my mid section. I dont want to be "skinny" i just want to feel good about myself again!! And I am not going to work out intensely, im thinking 20 minutes a day of good hard running and limiting my calories.. im not going to cut out carbs or anything, just try to eat balanced meals 6 times a day.
  • Ok heres the deal. I want to lose as much weight as possible in one month. Is it unrealistic to think that I can lose 10 pounds (if I stay within my calorie limit and exercise 5X a week? I am 22, 5'8'' about 152 pounds)? I'm kinda new at this so any experienced opinions would be lovely! Thanks :)

For people with a good deal of weight to lose (50+lbs) in the 1st month it's possible...I lost about 17lbs my first month.

But, with only 13lbs to lose, it's doubtful you'll see 2+lbs per week :( There are lots of great posts in the forums by Banks with the reasons for this.
This discussion has been closed.