Italian food - what to order?

Options
I'm going out for a girly night out with my friends and we are going for Italian food and no doubt a bit of wine :) what is the best thing to order? I normally go for creamy pasta but I'm sure that is calorific! What do you order?

Replies

• chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Food.

Eat a reasonable amount of food portion wise, have some wine and enjoy your night.

Exercise tomorrow or something.

Carbs are great for weightlifting.
  • susuenglish
    susuenglish Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'll be running before I go out so will rack up a few extra cals :)
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Have your pasta, but with a tomato based sauce.....If there is a lot, ask for a box and take some home for the next day....
  • ajzmann
    ajzmann Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I like to start with a salad to control portions...or something lighter like grilled calamari or minestrone soup.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    If it's in season a soft shell crab ragu with homemade tagliatelle would be pretty awesome, and a nice bottle of wine. And get tartufo if it's on the dessert menu
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to keep it lean and healthy, go for a tomato based sauce and go light on the bread. Or order a small piece of chicken, steak or fish and some veggie sides.

Otherwise just eat what you like and let it be a "cheat meal" or whatever term you like to call the times when you eat without caution.
  • tlp148
    tlp148 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I love Italian. A local restaurant here has a wonderful Lemon Pepper Grilled Chicken(with olive oil) on a bed of pasta. I usually get the lunch portion on wheat pasta with a small side salad/low fat house dressing and have the glass of wine instead of the breadstick. My next favorite is a seafood selection with a grilled fish and veggies. I wouldn't normally go for this at an Italian restaurant but the flavors are terrific.
    I hope you find a good choice and have a wonderful Girls night!
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    All the good stuff is carb related. I guess you could get chicken parmagian or veal or a salmon dish. If you want pasta get pasta with tomato sauce and skip the creamy calories. Italian food is the reason I got fat in the first place (thanks nonna).
  • sazziecee
    sazziecee Posts: 143
    Options
    I order pasta with a tomato based sauce e.g Arrabiata (no salami etc if they ask) or Penne Broccoli

Or if I fancy pizza I go for seafood or a spicy vegetarian one, and only eat half of it

They often have sorbet as a dessert option
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    My suggestion, when in doubt, inform the waiter that you want to eat only X amount of calories and ask the chef for suggestions. A lot of family owned restaurants will produce off menu items for customers who ask.

Salad: Caprese salad (tomatoes, basil, mozzarella)

Main:
    Riso all'Aglio (rice with garlic and oil)
    Aglio Et Olio (spaghetti with garlic and oil)
    Cheese-less pizza

Dessert: Grilled figs with ricotta and honey
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    If Im trying to watch my cals I usually get a minestrone soup and then either steak or chicken with veggies (Im not big on pasta) and only eat half the main course.