Shape is nothing; lifestyle is everything

Options
danblood
danblood Posts: 20 Member
Best thing I did was focus on the cause, not the result; my lifestyle will define my shape and my health, not the other way around.

It also helps that most rail companies in the UK are practically criminal, cartel organizations that have conspired against their customers country-wide to raise prices - I got so sick of this system that I decided that the 15 mile cycle to work and home again was far less hassle than giving increasing amounts of my income to train companies.

It was hard at first.. and I haven't yet completely given up on the train; windy days and tight deadlines still require me to buy a ticket now and then, but mostly I'm cycling, and that's why I joined this site.. not to cut my eating, but to make sure that I am aware of what I'm eating when, and what the ramifications are.

I have only been using this service a few days now, but I've already been able to damage-control for a string of nights out that could have left me feeling fat, bloated and generally useless, where I wouldn't have displayed any self control at all.. but this site is helping me to discover the consequences of my dietary habits.

I'd like to meet more determined people, and more importantly I'm looking or encouragement. I haven't been collecting fat-to-thin photos, I just want to give myself new challenges. Putting myself in contact with people who put themselves through similar treatment will give me a benchmark to work against!

Please feel free to add me to your contacts; I'm not competing; I'd rather become part of a community of healthy thoughts and attitudes!

Between 2003-2005 I was around 15.5-16.5 stone in weight.. I had managed to get down to about 14.5 stone; recently, having started a cycling regime of about 20-30 miles a day, I have come down to about 12.4 stone.

I am aiming for about 11 stone.

Replies

• slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congratulations on your lifestyle change! Your story sounds similar to the way I was when I started MFP back in March. I am against the whole concept of "dieting" (after years of being a slave to it). I didn't take any before pictures and didn't really even have any goals when I first started MFP. When I joined I was really just looking for a way to become more aware of what I was already doing and also looking for some support to make some changes that I would be able to maintain for the rest of my life. I had already made some small changes like walking instead of driving when I could and taking the stairs instead of the elevator--small things that were starting to make a difference. MFP has helped me really get focused and stay focused on what it is I can do to live healthier. Of course the weight loss is the ultimate goal, but it's really just a byproduct of the healthier lifestyle I've adopted with the support and encouragement of the people here. I now have some specific goals with regard to size and weight, now that I know I can really do it. Feel free to send a friend request if you'd like. I wish you the best of luck on your journey, on and off your bike! :drinker:
  • wifealiciousness
    wifealiciousness Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I'm all about lifestyle, although since breaking my shoulder and being forced into being less active, my shape has changed drastically, so I'm motivated by both.

In the past my active lifstyle has meant that I can just say "ok I'll generally keep an eye on my intake and I'll be ok". At the moment, I've felt the need to commit to the word "diet" (at 27 this is my first ever diet!!) and get to it. Disappointing and not how I'd like things to be, but my vanity won't allow. Weirdly it's not about "do I look nice in a dress" but more "do I look like the healthy person I am/ aspire to be?"....