Take a WEEK off?

Options
My HRM keeps telling me to take a week to recuperate. I just don't know if taking a week off is a good idea. What do y'all think?

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Your HRM has an opinion? Weird. A week off from what?
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I set goals and every week it tells me if I reached my exercise time and calorie burn goals, zone goals, periodically it asks for my weight and does a fitness test, but for the last few weeks after telling me my weekly that I should be taking a restoration week? I am sort of afraid to take that much time off from exercise.
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    Don't use the HRM for the week, and do some other type of exercise that you can log in your diary.
  • Ruz456
    Ruz456 Posts: 99
    Options
    Depending on how your workouts have been and how hard you are pushing yourself it could be beneficial to take a weeks break. Only in rest is your body adjusting and getting stronger and if your pushing hard everyday you run the risk of not allowing your body to recover. If you take a week off just eat clean and you should be all set. like I said I have no idea what your workout schedule has been like so its your decision in the end you know your body the best, good luck! :)
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Don't use the HRM for the week, and do some other type of exercise that you can log in your diary.

lol yeah.

A week off is crazy IMHO. I take maybe 3 days off after a super intense race. But if I take a week off for any reason (illness, vacation or something) it feels like death to get back out there. I can't rest that long or I'll feel like a slug.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    A week off seems excessive.
    I take a weekly free day off from diet, and a weekly training day off - sometimes 2 if I feel I need it.
    NEVER A WEEK!
  • JupitersGhost
    Options
    "Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain." :)
  • tom_olech
    tom_olech Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Ya...weeks seems alittle long...im recovering from a minor ankle sprain and i need a week off, so unless you have an injury, i say 3 days max
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it necessarily means really take a week off, but maybe do exercises that are still good for you, but keep your heart rate lower/lower calorie burns. I know Insanity/p90x do like a "break" week where you do a lot of yoga, stretching and various other stuff that still gives you a workout but keeps your heart rate low. Maybe take a week with some light cardio and some yoga/pilates? Or if you run just shorten your runs, I wouldn't take a true week off, like a lot of people have said, its death to come back from, I'm trying to come back from a few weeks off right now and literally each workout is torture.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    "Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain." :)

Gotta love Arthur Weasley. ;-)
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Great answers everybody. I agree that if I take a week I will feel awful when I start back, so I will try doing a week of light exercise and see if that makes my HRM happy, if not I will leave the silly thing at home when we go on vacation later this month.:laugh: