Question about hair

Options
13»

Replies

• ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Extra virgin olive oil is a great leave in conditioner. Plus most people already have it. I'm sure coconut oil is great too, that stuff is magical.
  • ashypoo03
    ashypoo03 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Aveda.. Damage Repair
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Check out the long hair community forums as they really have great information on hair care.
    http://www.longhaircommunity.com/

I use coconut oil and I dont use shampoo at all, only condition only washes. I have definately seen an improvement in my hair.

Hey! I'm a member there. Hello, fellow LHC'er :)

: D

Edited to add coconut oil I buy the pure stuff for $10 a jar and it lasts forever if its just for hair.
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Sulfate free shampoos.
    Hot oil treatments
    NO more heat products or dying.
  • Rex1612
    Rex1612 Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm a hairstylist and I have dealt with this problem many times. I really like Moroccan Oil products and Joico K-Pax also.

Joico K-Pax, suggested to me by a new stylist, made all my hair break off about 5" long :( I had beautiful long hair and then I followed her advice.

I went back to my original stylist even though she's a 4 hour drive from me. I make a weekend trip out of it every time I need to get my hair done. Evidently Joico K-Pax has a lot of protein in it, which can make hair brittle... and break off.

K-Pax didn't make your hair break off, dry, brittle ends or split ends made it break off. Protein is good for your hair. I've been doing hair for over 12 years and I have dealt with hair breakage and fried hair from over-processing and K-Pax has helped in several (maybe not all) instances. I have never, ever seen it break off hair.
  • Rex1612
    Rex1612 Posts: 13
    Options

Get your ends trimmed every 4 - 6 weeks, within a few months your hair will start to look and feel a lot better.

^In regards to this, only trim if you have split ends. You do not need to get your ends trimmed every 4-6 weeks. You need a trim when your ends are split.

If you don't have a massive amount of split ends, you can do what I do and do a 'S&D'. A search and destroy is when you look through your hair at the individual strands, and chop off any splits you find. I do this on a regular basis to get rid of splits without losing length or unecessarily trimming off healthy hair.

If hair is breaking, then trimming is the only way to get it looking healthy again. You can not repair damaged hair. Once it's damaged, it will never get back to healthy.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Update...I went into like walgreens and found a cleansing conditioner (I was researching wen onlineand someone suggested a cheaper brand by salon grafix). My hair feels a ton better! I will still probably experiment with some of the products suggested, and olive oil. I have never had this problem with dyeing, it was just when I stripped it. But now I am freaked out to dye it. No more dyeing my hair!! Lesson learned!
  • LatinaButterfly
    LatinaButterfly Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    @RedHead

Glad you found something to help you out! Back in April I got a body wave perm and the lady FRIED my hair, I mean it was BAD. Major breakage, it felt and looked like a Brillo pad and I was freaking out! So I went on the great search for what could repair my hair just short of shaving my head. A lady at Sally Beauty Supply told me about "One 'n Only" Argan Oil Restorative Mask. It's a 8.5 oz tube that sells for $10.00 and OMG it worked wonders! I used it everyday for a month and it completely repaired my hair! Just thought I'd mention it in case you need something later on. :)
  • LatinaButterfly
    LatinaButterfly Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    LOL! I just went back and looked through this thread and saw that 2 other people already mentioned Argan Oil! :D
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I still color my hair some, just got highlights right now. I have dyed and fried my hair so many times. I personally use "Ion repair solutions, Effective Care Treatment" for about a week or two after each coloring, depending on how damaged my hair is. Then just go back to using my shampoo only, I use "pert plus 2in1 deep conditioning".