Is it ok to use MFP default macros?

Options
melry77
melry77 Posts: 43 Member
I manually changed my macros to 40/30/30 but i absolutely cannot hit my protein, and by trying I end up getting my majority of calories from FAT week after week. I actually hit my protein today by eating about 1/2 carton of egg substitute, enough dairy to stop up a bull and a can of beans -not necessarily the way I want to eat every single day. I went back to the default and this seems much more encouraging and realistic. Anybody have success and FEEL GOOD with the preset %? Thanks!!

Replies

• _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    sorry i dont have an answer for this... i get more protein than anything and have no trouble hitting 40/40/20 macros but i am curious for others' opinions... so BUMP :)
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is totally ok. :)
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    yes they're fine~
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    MFP's numbers reflect a pretty good diet. Some think it's too low in protein and too high in carbohydrates, but it's still a perfectly acceptable diet plan.
  • cateyjo
    cateyjo Posts: 108
    Options
    I am using the preset, but am looking forward to what others say
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I am using the preset, but am looking forward to what others say

I am also using the preset, and used them to lower my carbs and raise my proteins (something I needed to do initially to control hunger). Now that I'm getting closer to goal, I'm finding that I crave proteins more and carbohydrates less, and I'm eating to my hunger rather than eating to a plan. But I'm still within shouting distance most days of MFP's eating plan, though I have a slight bias now to be lower in carbs and higher in protein than MFP recommends.

But that's the key - I used the MFP guidelines to get my diet within a reasonable balance, then my body and I came back on speaking terms and I've learned to differentiate "carb hunger" from "protein hunger" to a very small extent, and I've also learned what "prefuel" and "refuel" foods support my workouts the best. All of that was gained by experiment, and that experimentation was only possible when I got my diet in balance initially.

So, MFP's guidelines aren't perfect for everyone, especially if you have a specific goal that is incompatible with them, or a specific medical condition that requires alteration. For the rest of us, they're a very reasonable starting point based on some good nutritional science. Use them to get started, then learn from them and if you think you know better, experiment and be honest about your experimentation.

OP is a perfect example of this type of experimentation, honestly. Start with guidelines, want "moar proteen!", adjust protein intake, find more protein is a struggle without more fat, chalk it up to a failed experiment, and either find more efficient/less fatty protein sources or switch back to MFP's guidelines and plan the next experiment based on those results.
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    These presets are just guidelines. You have to adjust them to meet your needs. If you adjust them and are getting the results you want, then great. Otherwise keep tweeking it until you get it right!