Hot weather meals

My Fiance and I moved into a new place and we have no AC in the kitchen I have not been cooking bc its been 100 or close for over a week. Does anyone have any suggestions or meal ideas that dont require much heat/cooking?

Replies

• Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Summer vegetable salads? Easily thrown together with some feta and a mild vinaigrette.

I dunno, it's summer....It's grill season.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    my favorite summer snack is a sliced up cucumber, lime & lemon juices, and season salt. so tasty and tangy and ICE COLD. mmmm.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Do you have a crock pot? They don't give off much heat.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member

Yes and I dont know how to use it!! Do you have any healthy recipes????
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Big bowl of tabbouleh or caprese salad.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Sashimi is a great hot weather food.
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Along the cucumber line, my favorite snack is 8 low fat triscuits with a slice of cucumber, fresh basil leaf and a little cottage cheese! Yum!
  • cryan1980
    cryan1980 Posts: 37
    my favorite summer snack is a sliced up cucumber, lime & lemon juices, and season salt. so tasty and tangy and ICE COLD. mmmm.

Wife and I just finished making a double batch of cucumber soup... Cucumbers, Buttermilk, greek yougurt, lime juice, mint, curry powder, white pepper and some shallot.... Puree in a blender and add some diced cukes to it, Chill over night and serve ice cold.... delicious
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    I have also been using the George Foreman a lot to make easy things like paninis and quesadillas.
  • vwkauffman
    vwkauffman Posts: 39 Member
    Crock pots are good. Cold pasta salads and grilled veggies work. And there's always fruit, or shrimp cocktail, or low sodium sliced deli meats.
  • cryan1980
    cryan1980 Posts: 37
    Sashimi is a great hot weather food.
    haha eat it fast !
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,607 Member
    I have also been using the George Foreman a lot to make easy things like paninis and quesadillas.

LOOOVE me some george.. but grilling outside could be my new thing... sadly I'm a soup fan... antiguan pumpkin soup with lots of hot sauce rocks me...even in the 90 degree heat.. probably because the first time I had this was on antigua in august
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    I've done cold pasta salads using tofu shiratakii noodles, grape tomato, cucumber, fresh herbs, and different dressings. Add a piece of fish and you're set.
  • I know I don't look it, but I'm half Korean and grew up eating awesome Korean food. A favorite summertime meal is oi naengguk, or cold cucumber soup. Basically you need to julienne a cucumber, and then make the broth, which consists of cold water, sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sugar. Add ice to make it colder on those especially hot days. It should taste a little bit salty and a little bit tangy. I like to add in sesame seeds, roasted seaweed, scallions, and cooked rice noodles to my broth to make it a little more filling so I'm not tempted to eat three helpings. :)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    I know I don't look it, but I'm half Korean and grew up eating awesome Korean food. A favorite summertime meal is oi naengguk, or cold cucumber soup. Basically you need to julienne a cucumber, and then make the broth, which consists of cold water, sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sugar. Add ice to make it colder on those especially hot days. It should taste a little bit salty and a little bit tangy. I like to add in sesame seeds, roasted seaweed, scallions, and cooked rice noodles to my broth to make it a little more filling so I'm not tempted to eat three helpings. :)

that sounds freaking delicious!
  • I know I don't look it, but I'm half Korean and grew up eating awesome Korean food. A favorite summertime meal is oi naengguk, or cold cucumber soup. Basically you need to julienne a cucumber, and then make the broth, which consists of cold water, sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sugar. Add ice to make it colder on those especially hot days. It should taste a little bit salty and a little bit tangy. I like to add in sesame seeds, roasted seaweed, scallions, and cooked rice noodles to my broth to make it a little more filling so I'm not tempted to eat three helpings. :)

that sounds freaking delicious!

It is! Everyone should try it, it's so quick and easy it's not even funny. It usually takes me about 10 minutes to make, no joke.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Grape tomatoes, fresh mozzarella balls, basil leaves and balsamic vinaigrette. Toss and serve. Yum.
  • CryTerrell
    CryTerrell Posts: 55
    Salad or subs. Or you could always grill outside.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member

Yes and I dont know how to use it!! Do you have any healthy recipes????

if you are on pinterest there is a world of recipes available.
    also search in MFP for slow cooker or crockpot chicken. there is an entire thread for it.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Big bowl of tabbouleh or caprese salad.

^^^^ Yep...this!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    In the summer I eat salads every day with Tyson frozen grilled chicken and microwave it or eat it with cottage cheese or feta. I also eat yogurt and fruit. What about sandwiches?
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    I moved into a new place on 6/1. 2 small air conditioner units and constant "feels like" temps of 105+ here in Houston combined with hot flashes is no joke. The 2nd day I was here, I made the mistake of turning on the oven. 10 minutes later, I was in tears because it was so HOTTTTTTTTTTTT in here!!!! Now, I go to Kroger and buy whatever bagged salad is in the Manager's Special bin and combine that with loads of tasty veggies and a little salad dressing. My proteins have consisted of rotisserie chicken, rotisserie turkey breast, sardines, canned salmon, tuna. Frozen tilapia or salmon fillets that can be sauteed in a little EVOO for a few minutes on top of the stove isn't too bad. The one good thing about living in this lil oven box is that I haven't been overeating or eating anything fried/fatty simply because it's too effin hot to cook it.

I'm also counting down the days until I can move again. Sorry but I gotta have my central air LOL
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Get a toaster oven. We do sausages, roast veg, hot dogs, grilled cheese, pizza, etc in ours. We got a good one and it keeps us from having to turn the big oven on during the summer (about 8 months long in Georgia). BLTs are good. Microwave the bacon and you're done. We do basil, tomato, mozzarella sandwiches a lot. Just put everything together and put it in the toaster until the cheese is good and melty. Salads,Vietnamese noodle salad, wraps, cheese and fruit plates, wraps, sandwiches and temaki (hand rolls) are all on our summer menu.
  • Talazws
    Talazws Posts: 101 Member
    Gazpacho! Just put a ton of veggies (cucumbers, tomatoes, garlic, onions, peppers, etc) in the blender, season with cilantro, cumin, paprika. Chill, and then eat with a toasted tortilla. I think some people put sour cream on top, but I never have.

Corn on the cob done in the microwave is also nice, you don't have to turn on the stove! I either keep it in the husk and microwave for 5 min, or shuck it and wrap in wet paper towels, microwave for 5 minutes. Rather than having it with butter, I sprinkle my corn with cumin or lemon pepper seasoning, and let the natural flavors come through.

Another favorite that I have been bringing to BBQs lately is Black Bean Mango Salsa. Just add a can of rinsed black beans, a chopped up mango, a little hot sauce, fresh chopped cilantro, cumin, and some lemon or lime juice. Chill, and then eat as is like a salad, or with corn chips, or on top of a burger.
  • Almost any tropical fruit with lime juice, fresh parsley and a touch of agave. Eat it straight or with chips, in tacos, burritos, or on top of fish/chicken! So delish
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Take a cup of plain greek yogurt (or 1/2 yogurt 1/2 mayo), add a chopped seasoned roasted boneless chicken breast, add some chopped pecans <or whatever nuts you like>, add a bunch of halved grapes, an apple chopped up and like 2 celery stalks chopped . You can also add in some cucumber chopped or whatever to it as well.

Mix together and keep refrigerated and you can serve on a flat bread or in a bowl..whatever. Nice easy cold salad and its really yummy!!
  • tevra
    tevra Posts: 17
    For a frozen snack thats healthy I love frozen grape tomatoes.:happy: