Barbell Complexes

Options
So who does them? What are a few of your favorites and how much weight do you use?

I saw someone post about it on another topic and it definitely got me interested. How many times a week would be a good amount to do them too

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    /curious
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    /curious
    Here's an article I read with some info on it

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/screw_cardio_four_complexes_for_a_shredded_physique

a little snippet
    Here's one of the most effective Cosgrovian complexes:

Deadlift
    Romanian Deadlift
    Bentover Row
    Power Clean
    Front Squat
    Push Press
    Back Squat
    Good Morning

On round one, perform 6 reps of each exercise, moving from one exercise to the next, never letting go of the bar, never resting. Remember, you'll finish all six reps of each exercise before moving to the next one.

Rest 90 seconds after the first circuit, then perform 5 reps of each in the next circuit; rest 90 seconds, 4 reps of each; rest 90 seconds, 3 reps of each; rest 90 seconds, 2 reps of each; rest 90 seconds, and then do 1 rep of each.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    /curious

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/screw_cardio_four_complexes_for_a_shredded_physique

a little snippet

Deadlift
    Romanian Deadlift
    Bentover Row
    Power Clean
    Front Squat
    Push Press
    Back Squat
    Good Morning

On round one, perform 6 reps of each exercise, moving from one exercise to the next, never letting go of the bar, never resting. Remember, you'll finish all six reps of each exercise before moving to the next one.

Rest 90 seconds after the first circuit, then perform 5 reps of each in the next circuit; rest 90 seconds, 4 reps of each; rest 90 seconds, 3 reps of each; rest 90 seconds, 2 reps of each; rest 90 seconds, and then do 1 rep of each.

Ouch lol. I think I'd want to use that for cardio =p.

When it comes to actual lifting, I'm too much of a minimalist for that kind of workout I guess.
  • victoria4321
    Options
    Nobody?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    /curious

a little snippet

Deadlift
    Romanian Deadlift
    Bentover Row
    Power Clean
    Front Squat
    Push Press
    Back Squat
    Good Morning

Ouch lol. I think I'd want to use that for cardio =p.

When it comes to actual lifting, I'm too much of a minimalist for that kind of workout I guess.

I think its cardio enough squatting 280x5.
    Though i'm about to move into UD2 next week.
    Barbells are the best though!!!!
    But...I rest 90seconds to 3mins per set.
  • spartacus69
    spartacus69 Posts: 235
    Options
    Crossfit bear complex.

Power clean
    Front squat
    Push press
    Back squat
    Push press

That's one rep. One round has 5 to 7 reps. Do 5 rounds.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WOP9J7QPwI

I start light and increase the weight each round. Haven't been doing them very long. I am only up to 95lbs; my near-term target is 135.

Once a week.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Can't say how many times you should do them per week as we don't know your current lifting/workout schedule.

You can do these on off days and they dont mess with your recovery too much.

Start with an empty 20k bar and go from there
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    I only use barbells for deadlifts and squats...much prefer dumbells for everything else
  • jamessasek
    jamessasek Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength is a great way to get into barbell work. i highly recommend them. do cardio to eat more today, lift to get stronger and eat more every day.

http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/resources

i do 3-5 lifts 3 days a week (squat every workout!) for about 30 minutes and have increased the number of calories i consume resting by 400/day thanks to the extra muscle.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I would do that. It sounds fun. The challenge being finding the weight that you can do for all reps for all rounds. you might be tempted to go heavy bc it starts with DL then, what do you do on the clean and push press?

I think it would def qualify as a met con workout.

Edited to add: not sure how many times a week I would do it though. I like to different things all the time.
  • wyze
    wyze Posts: 248
    Options
    I read the article from T-Nation and my first response is the guy needs to shut up. People are becoming such idiots about cardio. I agree that lifting is very necessary for weightloss and building strength, but to sit down and bash other peoples workout(calling them hamsters seriously? ) is so unnecessary and stupid...okay rant over....lol

I saw a recent video on youtube by some guy called Demonte, and he was kind of alluding to what you just asked about. It looks like a fun way to get your weight training in and also get your heart rate up. Not sure how that affects joints in the long run with all the fast switching and stuff. Will be interesting to see what others think.

Sorry i wasnt much help beyond ranting about the T-nation article...lol...I just get so annoyed by the recent fad of strength train or die attitude, or cardio is the devil speech. People need to do whats safe for them and then what works for them also
  • victoria4321
    Options
    Can't say how many times you should do them per week as we don't know your current lifting/workout schedule.

You can do these on off days and they dont mess with your recovery too much.

Start with an empty 20k bar and go from there

Right now I'm going to crossfit 3 times a week then twice a week deadlifts, squats, oh and bench presses following wendlers 531 program. I have a 15kg girly bar and bumpers I can work with at home.

Mainly I wake up early so I was looking to do these as a morning everyday or every other day thing.
  • victoria4321
    Options
    I would do that. It sounds fun. The challenge being finding the weight that you can do for all reps for all rounds. you might be tempted to go heavy bc it starts with DL then, what do you do on the clean and push press?

I think it would def qualify as a met con workout.

Edited to add: not sure how many times a week I would do it though. I like to different things all the time.

You would base the weight off your weakest lift. I think around 50% max sounds like a good start