How often does everyone weigh in?

Options
I'm just starting and have a lot to lose, and was wondering how often everyone weighs? I'm thinking of weighing more right now just to keep my focus and motivation up plus to keep me on track from one day to the next so I know if I need to burn more calories....

Replies

• CathEsh
    CathEsh Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I just started today, and I have a lot to lose, too (100 lbs). I have a bad habit of weighing every day. When I belonged to a Fitness Club, they recommended weighing only once a week. I cannot seem to do that. I have an obsession with weighing every day, but I keep in mind that my weight will fluctuate daily for various reasons. I record my weight on the calendar once a week for true comparison purposes.
  • stpetegirl
    stpetegirl Posts: 241
    Options
    I just started today. I have a bad habit of weighing every day. When I belonged to a Fitness Club, they recommended weighing only once a week. I cannot seem to do that. I have an obsession with weighing every day, but I keep in mind that my weight will fluctuate daily for various reasons. I record my weight on the calendar once a week for true comparison purposes.

Thats my problem, I become obsessed and want to weigh every day! I know my weight can fluctuate, but I am determined to hit my first mini goal fast and that is 20 lbs. Maybe weigh every day but only use one day a week for my actual weigh in for tracking.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Some people claim that people who weigh in every day lose more weight. I weigh in once a week, on the same day. There's just too much variation from day to day, and seeing the scale go UP, even if it's just a pound, is discouraging. So I stick to Sunday mornings (unless I'm feeling REALLY thin and can't resist peeking!).
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    Once a week...maybe 2 but that's it
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I do everyday unfortunately.. Its like an obsession.. but im going to give it to my daughter to hide...lol so I can do it once a week....
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Was doing it every day but lately it has been getting me down so I may switch to once a week...
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Every morning. Get up > toilet > scale. I don't obsess over the number, but I still want to know what it is.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    I am ocd on things and weigh every morning at the same time right after using the lavatory.
  • curious256
    Options
    I started yesterday...again and I'm going to try to look at the scale only once a week. I also have a lot to lose and I think this time I am ready to really commit to a change. I just have to just focus on the whole picture.
  • bbbsmama
    bbbsmama Posts: 96
    Options
    Every morning. Get up > toilet > scale. I don't obsess over the number, but I still want to know what it is.

Me too!
  • DaGsGirl
    DaGsGirl Posts: 194
    Options
    I weigh in 1st thing in the morning, every morning...after I pee and im naked. Then I get my true weight. :smile:
  • veduffey
    veduffey Posts: 73
    Options
    I think once a week is best, because your weight will flucuate from day to day depending on water consumption. :smile:
  • ccckwalk
    ccckwalk Posts: 262
    Options
    this is easy. I have been using this site for over a year and I am telling you put the scale out and weigh one day. Over the course of a week, you will go up, down, retain water, be sore, tired...and etc. It does help motivate if you see a loss but what happens when you work your rear off for three days you get on the scale and you are two pounds up.Fluctuations are normal, so whatever you choose it is your choice! :) awesome steps in going in the right directions! Add as many friends as possible and log every morsel you eat! This is a great site for encouragement and motivation!!! ~Corina
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. No gimmicks, no apologies, no nada. It's like brushing my teeth. If there is a significant fluctuation (more than 2 pounds) that is either up or down, I keep an eye on it for a week and analyze what I've been eating relative to my exercise and cycles. Then I adjust if necessary. This had kept me pretty stable for almost a year and a half!
  • stpetegirl
    Options
    I started yesterday...again and I'm going to try to look at the scale only once a week. I also have a lot to lose and I think this time I am ready to really commit to a change. I just have to just focus on the whole picture.

I am commited to making this change! Feel free to add me! Love knowing others that need to lose a lot like me!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I weight daily, BUT i know and do often see jumps in my weight. I have gone up as much as 3kg(6.6lb) overnight but I didn't let it bother me. Two days later it off and by my checkin day I was down a little from the week before.
    I weigh daily mostly out of curiosity, but only 'check-in' once a week (twice this week by accident)
  • stpetegirl
    Options
    Lots of great advice! Thank you everyone for the input! I think I will do it more often just to start and then drop to once a week after I lose my first 20 lbs!
  • ArtemisXXII
    Options
    I do the same thing mostly. It's the curiosity. I like seeing if I need to tweak previous days habits to make my week work for me.
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294
    Options
    Normally I weigh myself every day, but I'm trying to stick to once a week.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Most days and sometimes I've weighed more than once in a day just to see the fluctuations after a meal/exercise etc.
    I now know I generally weigh less on a Thursday (and oddly after breakfast) so that's now my official weigh day that I record on MFP x