Celexa- Weight Gain or Loss?

Options
Just a question. I am taking Celexa for Anxiety/panic attacks. I would like to know if anyone else takes it or has taken it and did it make you gain weight or lose weight? I think it is making it harder for me to lose. I have only been taking it for about 6 months. I have been working out almost daily and eating healthy, but can't lose much. I have only lost about 8 pounds since starting to be more active and trying to lose, maybe in February? I was just wondering if anyone else had problems with it or not? Thanks in advance for your help. What should I do?

Replies

• mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I'm unsure of Celexa, but when I took Zyprexa for my anxiety/depression it made me gain a lot of weight.
  • tracyhall63
    tracyhall63 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have been on it while losing 38 pounds, it does not affect weight loss negatively and may help you lose due to controlled anxiety. gooe luck!
  • lilmer14
    lilmer14 Posts: 13
    Options
    I was on celexa a year ago. I gained weight and was switched to Paxil for my panic attacks because the celexa was causing weight gain. It all depends on the person. Talk to your doctor about possibly switching to another medication if you feel as though this is effecting your weight!
  • curious256
    Options
    Hi yes I have taken Celexa for over a year and I believe it has added to my weight problem so I decided to try facing my anxiety without the medication. I have stopped taking it recently to see if I can function without it since I don't want to take it for the rest of my life. So far so good...a lot of deep breathing and telling myself everything is going to be okay.
  • debomommyforhealth
    Options
    I have been on it for 5 months and have lost 15 lbs since I am happier and don't feel so inclined to binge. My therapist told me that Celexa is one where you don't gain weight. I was on Lexapro, and I hated it. I wasn't eating right then, but I was hungry all of the time, and I think Lexapro made me gain weight. Good luck! I feel soooooo much calmer and relaxed on Celexa. Took a couple months, but no side effects for me!
  • Vespyr
    Vespyr Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    First 6 months lost weight without trying, 2nd 6 months gained 20lbs and still haven't lost it. A lot of things happened in there though so it's really hard to say if it's the med or not. I did trying going off of it, didn't lose weight either but my mood plummeted. For me it's so so so worth being on a medication, I've decided that as long as I'm not gaining fat and that I'm getting more fit I'll be ok. So far so good. Those 20lbs haven't increased in a year and a half, now if they'd only go away. ;)
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I just started Celexa. One of it's side effects is loss of appetite, but these meds affect everyone differently. So far I've noticed I'm not as hungry as I usually am, so for me it will probably help with weight loss. Paxil is listed as causing weight gain, and I did gain weight when I was on it years ago. All these SSRI's have side effects, but it will hit each person differently. I'm just happy to be starting something that, once we get the dose right, will stop the crazies. If it makes it harder to lose weight, well, totally worth it. :happy:
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    By the way, I also controlled my anxiety without any meds for four years by eating a diet geared towards reducing anxiety and stress. if you do a web search on anxiety diets, you'll get a listing of foods that are good for helping it. It worked really well until I started menopause a few months ago. :grumble:
  • dbutler1413
    Options
    Well, I was told by my pharmacist that it can affect different people different ways. I have considered talking to my dr. about changing, but so far the medicine itself is working pretty well. He said he wanted to get me back there in January and see if I can wean off of it. So, I am kind of at the point that maybe if I stay on it, and work really hard to at least stay in shape as much as possible and lose a few pounds and get things in the right spots, that, if I can wean off maybe I will be able to lose more then. Not sure. I wanted to get some feedback on the general concensus and see how it affected some of you. I appreciate all the comments and help. I will continue to monitor myself and see how things go. Once again, Thanks!
  • mqdean
    Options
    Hello all,

I have been on celexa for 2 years and found that at first I was very sensitive to any sugars. I suggest to those who are gaining weight on Celexa to eat a diabetic's diet and to see if it makes a difference to control your sugars.

Best wishes ...
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I'm on it for anxiety and I love it, I didn't gain anything but it is VERY HARD to get weight off. I have only lost 11 pounds in over a year and I have been exercising and eating using MFP's guidelines. I would go off of it but I can't go back to anxiety, that's worse for me than being a couple pounds overweight.
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    First 6 months lost weight without trying, 2nd 6 months gained 20lbs and still haven't lost it. A lot of things happened in there though so it's really hard to say if it's the med or not. I did trying going off of it, didn't lose weight either but my mood plummeted. For me it's so so so worth being on a medication, I've decided that as long as I'm not gaining fat and that I'm getting more fit I'll be ok. So far so good. Those 20lbs haven't increased in a year and a half, now if they'd only go away. ;)
    This is my experience exactly!
  • bakerygirl78
    Options
    Just a question. I am taking Celexa for Anxiety/panic attacks. I would like to know if anyone else takes it or has taken it and did it make you gain weight or lose weight? I think it is making it harder for me to lose. I have only been taking it for about 6 months. I have been working out almost daily and eating healthy, but can't lose much. I have only lost about 8 pounds since starting to be more active and trying to lose, maybe in February? I was just wondering if anyone else had problems with it or not? Thanks in advance for your help. What should I do?

I've never taken Celexa but was recently prescribed it for anxiety and depression. And I was wondering the same thing. How is Celexa working for you now?
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I was on Celexa for a year and it didn't impact my weight loss much at all.
  • kmh_97
    kmh_97 Posts: 8
    Options
    Ok, I am convinced that Celexa has helped me gain at least 10 pounds since last summer. I have not done anything different but take celexa. I just put a call into my doctor. I am only taking it for PMDD, but if it makes me gain weight it is not worth it. I already have enough to lose, I don't need to add to it but taking this.
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I take 25mgs a day and seem to lose weight when taking it..................................It did make me sick at first...so I prob was not eating enough anyway
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I took it in High School and I did lose weight, I will add though I was also on Adderall at the time for ADD so that could have contributed to the weight loss. It was probably the most effective of all of the anti depressants I have been on. I took zoloft before that which gave me the shakes.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I think it helped me lose weight.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I took Celexa for more than a year and I gained about 50 pounds. When I decided to wean off it, I gradually lost 20 pounds over a five month period. There was no change in my diet and I didn't exercise during that time. I found getting off it was hard because I experienced a lot of brain shocks. It felt like a lightening bolt was shooting through my head and I became very disoriented. It has been six years since I took Celexa and I still occasionally have these shocks. SSRIs can be hell to wean off of. I have been on a few different ones and they were all difficult. I am trying to control my anxiety through B vitamins, regular walking and deep breathing. I still have my moments but I am not doing so bad :wink: Additionally, my husband takes Cipralex and he gained 15 pounds over 3 months. They do effect everyone differently but it is something to consider
  • Smtriple
    Smtriple Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I initially lost weight on celexa due to nausea side effects for the first month. I was really excited about this but since then I've been eating right as well as exercising and the weight seems to be coming off slowly. I'm not sure if that's because I am also on a small dose of abilify or if it is the celexa. I feel so much better since being on these meds., that I don't plan to change it. It is definitely better than my panic and anxiety was. I don't seem to be gaining weight on it it's just losing the weight is hard. Keep at it!