dreaded week 5 --- c25k

Options
vsetter
vsetter Posts: 558 Member
Anyone else on week 5??? Tomorrow is my day to attempt 20 minutes straight. YIKES!!! Especially with the heat (tomorrow is supposed to be 99 in Ohio and I don't have AC in my house), I don't know if I will be able to make it.

I can do 10 minutes and 10 minutes, with a walking break between. And the most I have ever done straight at my current speed (5.0mph) is 12 minutes. I'm scared.....

Replies

• Jenph20
    Jenph20 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    you can do it!!! Just push it :) when i was on week 5 i didnt think i could make it, but i pushed it and it felt amazing :)
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I am on week 6, day 2.

I was really scared to do week 5 too.

But I did it.

I lowered my speed because I figured I could work on that anytime - the goal is to finish the 20 mins.

As a side note, I asked the kids to go outside and play while I did the C25K for the 30 mins (I wanted privacy for my scary 20 min run) and I had to yell at them twice to go back outside while I was running.

Sheesh - kids!

You can so do this! You've got it in the bag!

Go Go Go!!!
  • sed1217
    sed1217 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Week 3 here, so I'm getting a preview of what's to come from your post :-) FYI, as important as it is to stick with the program, it's more important in this kind of weather to watch out for your health. If you're going to run, stay hydrated, and stop if you feel off in any way. You can overheat in this crazy heat very easily. Take care of your body first so that you can run another day! Good luck!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way! But I did it - and felt so accomplished afterward! You can do it!

Are you running outside or on a treadmill? Either way, maybe you can get it done early and beat the heat?

I run outside (done with c25k, working on 10k now) and we're in for 100º+ temps starting Saturday and all through next week - I am gearing up for getting out the door before 6am! :tongue:
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    When I started running, I couldn't run more than a minute at a time......I can now easily run 3 miles without stopping. I run about 6 miles with little breaks in the middle.

And one of the best feelings in the world is pushing yourself past that mark and realizing you did something you have never done before. Just focus on how AWESOME you will feel when you do that 20 minutes!!! You will feel amazing and you'll be so proud of yourself!
    31094756 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm just finishing up C25k (last run tomorrow) and the 20 minute run was SO scary, so I understand where you are coming from. I downloaded some new workout songs before the run, which helped a lot. Also, I usually leave my screen up to see the time count down, but that day I didn't. I just had my iTunes open so I wouldn't be worried about the daunting 20 minutes. Needless to say, I had a nice surprise with only 5 minutes left when I thought I must have had 10!

Best of luck.... and remember, if you can't push through, you can ALWAYS try again and you'll get it eventually!
  • Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The programme has worked with you so far. It's just the same as the other increases, it's just more frightening to your head. But that's ok because it's your legs & lungs you need for running so your head can shut it.

Nice & slow, even if you're barely shuffling. Walk if you absolutely need to and try again next run. Just like you did before. It's not a big jump, you've put in the training already. You're ready