Summer BBQs - Please share your recipes! :)

Options
naceto
naceto Posts: 517 Member
So I went to a bbq yesterday, where my choices were these amazing hamburgers (she adds brown sugar, bacon and cheese), or brats and the rest was the usual bbq fare. I am not beating myself up over having the lesser of the two evils... (I chose the brat), however, I would like to plan better for the next bbq I am to attend.

What are your favorite healthy bbq choices? If you were to bring a dish to a bbq that incorporates all of your nutritional requirements AND that can be enjoyed by everyone.... what would it be? I am looking for simple (healthy) single dish options to take to the next bbq please.

Replies

• kvf323
    kvf323 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    light beer
  • naceto
    Options
    Do you think light beer could count as a meal? Because I am all for trying. :):)
  • CFletcher5
    CFletcher5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Shish-ka-bobs! It's great because you can add whatever veggies you enjoy, put some chicken on there and marinate them for a bit. Super healthy and no need for a bun(because lets be honest, that adds a ton of calories) and lots of nutritious value to them.
  • bclj
    bclj Posts: 3
    Options
    Chicken breast and/or turkey sausage very lightly glazed with bbq sauce.
  • naceto
    Options
    Oh thank you CFletcher5! I forgot all about shish ka bobs!

@ bclj - I've never had turkey sausage.. I'll have to give it a try, thanks! :)
  • Karen_t7
    Karen_t7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi here is a great recipe for those non lovers of vegetables:

Get a sealable plastic bag and cut up: 1 onion, bunch of asparagus, red pepper (or any color of pepper), mushrooms.

Add steak spice and shake in the bag with the veggies.

Pour in olive oil over the veggies, then balsamic vinegar.

Seal bag and toss around.

Leave in fridge for half an hour or more.

If you have one of those trays with the holes in it that can go on the BBQ-get one-they are excellent for cooking the vegetables.

Trust me - you will love the taste of them.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Ribs aren't the lowest in calories, but for a hot day when you don't want to use the oven, and don't have all day to slave over the grill... try the crock pot. Ribs in the crockpot are ****ing divine.

Cut up the ribs to fit in your size cp, cover with a good rub and cook on low for 6-8 hours, coating w/ your favorite bbq sauce recipe occasionally about an hour or two before you intend on serving.
  • jaireed
    jaireed Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    BBQ chicken breast and homemade salsa with low-fat chips or veggies. Also ranch dip is good, just make sure to use low-fat sour cream.
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Tandoori chicken breast !!yum:drinker: