would you date someone significantly shorter than you?

Options
ProjectTae
ProjectTae Posts: 461 Member
A guy that has been crushing on me for three years has finally mustered up the courage to ask me out, the only thing is he's not really my type and is significantly shorter than me. I'm 5'9 and he's about 5'4-5'6. He's really nice but I don't know if I can get over the height difference, and I feel pretty bad about it. I'm not generally picky, my only requirement is height but I have this rule that if I'm single I never turn down a date and I've been pretty good with it, (yet I've never been asked out by someone that short before) So what would you do if you were me? And if you were going to how would you 'let that person down gently'?

Replies

• interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    It sucks being short but I found one who doesn't mind. She's got 3 inches on me :heart:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If your only hesitation is about his height - then you should go. You might be missing out on having a great time with a lovely guy for no good reason.

In fact, why not go anyway. Treat it as a fun night out, not as a "make or break, is he Mr Perfect?" event.

You'll either enjoy his company or you won't, but unless you go, you'll never know.

By the way, I am biased - my husband is shorter than me, but that's never had any impact on our relationship.
  • ProjectTae
    Options
    If your only hesitation is about his height - then you should go. You might be missing out on having a great time with a lovely guy for no good reason.

In fact, why not go anyway. Treat it as a fun night out, not as a "make or break, is he Mr Perfect?" event.

You'll either enjoy his company or you won't, but unless you go, you'll never know.

By the way, I am biased - my husband is shorter than me, but that's never had any impact on our relationship.

The height is the major hesitation there is one other thing... He's into Pokemon (but as long as he doesn't expect me to take up interest in this I don't mind this so much) I think you're both right I should at least give it a shot, every time we talk he seems like a nice person. Do you experience any weird looks or anything odd about dating someone shorter/taller?
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    An interesting guy asks you out and you're hung up on 3 inches? Girl, there's only one place that a few inches make a difference.

My ex was 6 inches shorter then me and my current is 3-4 inches shorter then me. Get over the insignificant details.
  • BellaAbrianna
    Options
    Nope. Personally wouldn't do it. It's a deal breaker. I'm only 5.4 but the taller the better. 6' plus is my type.

How to let him down easy... My advice is not to even mention the height or any of his shortcomings. just pick something else, be sweet and let him escape with his dignity. Lol. Maybe, I am not ready for dating right now. Or, I am too far into the 'friend zone' with you and don't want to lose you as a friend??? Anything that works for you. Good luck!
  • ProjectTae
    Options
    An interesting guy asks you out and you're hung up on 3 inches? Girl, there's only one place that a few inches make a difference.

My ex was 6 inches shorter then me and my current is 3-4 inches shorter then me. Get over the insignificant details.

I have an extensive heel collection some of them put me at 6'3! That could be a 10' difference :(
  • MargotAllen
    Options
    Definitely. I'd date a midget. :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • fonitoni
    fonitoni Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm quite tall and have dated men much shorter. A good guy is a good guy no matter his height
  • interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options

My buddy loves midgets!!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

The height is the major hesitation there is one other thing... He's into Pokemon (but as long as he doesn't expect me to take up interest in this I don't mind this so much) I think you're both right I should at least give it a shot, every time we talk he seems like a nice person. Do you experience any weird looks or anything odd about dating someone shorter/taller?

Hmmm, the Pokemon interest from a grown man would have me hesitating more than the height difference!
    I can't say I've noticed any looks or heard any comments about our height difference although my husband is only about 1-2 inches shorter than me. And I'm in my mid 40's so I really don't care what anyone else thinks!

When I was single I decided that I wasn't going to get hung up on "finding Mr Right" but that I was going to take any opportunity that came along to "practice" - in other words, I would go out, have a good time, but not be full of huge expectations. That way I accepted invitations from people that I might have otherwise turned down and met some really nice guys.
    I say go for it, enjoy yourself - it sounds as though the worst that could happen is that he bores you stupid talking about Pokemon. If that happens you don't have to see him again!
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Shorter? Sure. Significantly shorter? Uh... honestly, no. I'm barely 5'3", and while I dated a couple of guys who were within an inch of my own height and it didn't bother me, I don't think I could consider dating someone much shorter than me. It would be way too weird, and on the off chance of having children, they'd be midgets. :laugh:
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    in my case that would be a midget or a hobbit! I'm only 5'2". My husband is 5'4". I had always dated guys that were 6' or taller but the right guy for me was a short one. After 18 years of marriage I think I'l keep him!
    as for your guy..the height would not bother me as much as the Pokemon! LOL
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    yes. i'm 5 feet tall. i don't want some guy towering over me.
  • Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    No, I'm 5' 5" and my guy has to be taller, at least by a little bit. My fiance is 3" taller than me and he makes me feel safe.
  • ProjectTae
    Options

My buddy loves midgets!!!
    :wink:
  • ProjectTae
    Options

Hmmm, the Pokemon interest from a grown man would have me hesitating more than the height difference!
    I can't say I've noticed any looks or heard any comments about our height difference although my husband is only about 1-2 inches shorter than me. And I'm in my mid 40's so I really don't care what anyone else thinks!

When I was single I decided that I wasn't going to get hung up on "finding Mr Right" but that I was going to take any opportunity that came along to "practice" - in other words, I would go out, have a good time, but not be full of huge expectations. That way I accepted invitations from people that I might have otherwise turned down and met some really nice guys.
    I say go for it, enjoy yourself - it sounds as though the worst that could happen is that he bores you stupid talking about Pokemon. If that happens you don't have to see him again!

lol, but I've known him for over 3 years (he might not be that easy to get rid of) And I've never really looked too deep into the Pokemon thing until now, but then again I've never really viewed him in a romantic light before?
  • TrekkieChic
    TrekkieChic Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm five foot nothing, my husband is 5'10". My ex was 6'8". I once dated a guy who was 7'02".

It has never bothered me in the slightest.

Go on the date, you might find that you like him.

Oh, I'm a trekkie (as if the name didn't give it away already) and I'd never force my husband to watch Star Trek with me... But lately, I find that he's been watching it because he enjoys it. That's love! :heart:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and I've dated girls in higher 4'. ANy shorter and I'm pretty sure she'll be a midget.

I think for women its a big deal to have a tall guy. Not many guys emphasize on their girls height.
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Seems shallow to feel that way.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Seems shallow to feel that way.

Its shallow to have preference? I prefer girls who're under the age of 50. Makes me shallow? (And yes, I am aware Michelle Pfeiffer is over 50 sadly)