House work as exercise

Options

Replies

• FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    REALLY??? I see someone here who more than likely hasn't had the responsibility of keeping a house and keeping up with laundry.

Oh for pities sake, do you think other people don't wash their own clothes???

No, she thinks he hasn't had the responsibility of keeping house for an entire family. If she can't count it as exercise when she does several other people's laundry and cleaning, why shouldn't the people whose clothes she's washing and who she's cleaning up after have to subtract some calories for NOT doing that "normal activity?"
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    If you think it is legitimate to log zumba, then equally it is legitimate to log house work, neither get the heart rate anywhere near the heart rate of say cycling, and both are low impact, and involve a fair amount of just weaving your arms or *kitten* about. What applies to one equally applies to the other, depending on the intensity of the action both or neither are exercise.

If you think Zumba is not an exercise then you have never taken a class before and you are merely speaking out of ignorance. The zumba classes I take get you heart rate up, make you sweat, and are definately not low impact. Zumba is not the same as house cleaning! And it's more than just weaving your arms about...get a clue and educate yourself!

Don't like it so much when you're in the position of defending YOUR exercise, do you? I'd say, "Point made."

Here here! :wink:
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm indifferent on the whole housework as exercise thing. It doesn't bother me one way or another. Honestly, if this person does or doesn't log something, how does that affect your goals? It doesn't.......

I personally don't log when I clean my house because I like to enjoy my time at home so I rarely do continuous cleaning. Instead I break task up so I can do other things. I know my heart rate isn't going up much.

As far as strength training, I log mine as "circuit training" under cardio. I do a strength circuit on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I perform the circuit 3 times, doing each move for 1 minute each. I use a HIIT timer and I give myself 15 seconds between moves to get up/get in position/drink water. Since I'm almost constantly moving, I end up sweating a lot and burning quite a few calories. Sometimes I have to stop a little longer to catch my breathe or cool off a little but when run straight through, the workout is 39 minutes with about 3 minutes total resting.
  • IcassI
    IcassI Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I honestly feel if its anything outside of my scheduled work out its just extra calories. If I walk my dog for ten minutes, do I log that....ummm no! I just think its ridiculous honestly to log every single type of activity. Do I log when I get up from my desk and walk to the bathroom...again NO!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    The only point that has really been made in this thread is that you're THAT irate, clearly you know you're doing something wrong.

This is no different than the "You can't lose weight if you eat carbs" theory or the "You're going to bulk up if you lift weights" theory. If you really believed in what you're doing, you wouldn't get all red in the face trying to justify it.

And really, if you're going to start playing "gotcha" and take something that is clearly a form of exercise and say it isn't, you've already lost the argument.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Or maybe you should MYOB.

Excuse me but who do you think you are to elevate yourself to a position where you can tell other members to "MYOB"?

A thread was started on an OPEN PUBLIC forum which encourages debate on a subject and encourages people with a range of different opinions to participate.

If you disagree with his opinion then argue your case, but don't go round telling people to mind their own business.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Oh Snap! I always thought "household cleaning" was code for sex.
  • Sarahsbattle
    Sarahsbattle Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Please just get a good heart rate monitor. This solves a lot of problems and motivated me to work or exercise more intensely. You will be surprised at how many calories you burn lifting weights or mowing the lawn (with a push mower of course). The basic element here is that you need toware ofhat your body is doing when you're cleaning the house, lifting, etc. I would not base everything on the calorie burn listed here. A HRM is a wise investment if you want to track your individual progress.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    The only point that has really been made in this thread is that you're THAT irate, clearly you know you're doing something wrong.

This is no different than the "You can't lose weight if you eat carbs" theory or the "You're going to bulk up if you lift weights" theory. If you really believed in what you're doing, you wouldn't get all red in the face trying to justify it.

And really, if you're going to start playing "gotcha" and take something that is clearly a form of exercise and say it isn't, you've already lost the argument.

Yup.
  • aleham
    aleham Posts: 44
    Options
    Oh Snap! I always thought "household cleaning" was code for sex.

Hahaha, I think I love you for making this comment <3:laugh:
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    I have my settings on sedentary as I am a SAHM, so all the pottering I do I ignore, but if I do something like hoovering, sweeping or mopping, or reorganising rooms, as long as I work up a sweat, I will record most of the time I do it, but not all., afterall, if it raises your pulse, you are burning calories.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I just consider cleaning part of my regular routine. I never log it and any calories I do burn doing it are bonus!
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I do not put any 'regular" tasks -- for example, I don't log the walk around the grocery store (even though sometimes it's pretty significant), or basic cleaning chores. If it surpasses "normal", however, I do log it. For example when I helped a friend move, so we were carting boxes and furniture up and down the stairs. I also log yardwork and other effortful outdoor chores, like mowing my lawn, because with my HRM on it is a significant cardio workout to push the mower and bag.

I try to respect what counts for someone else, because who knows how much difficulty they have in those tasks, or what "works" for them when it comes to considering their daily intake and output. It isn't inherently lazy to count housework as exercise if it is legitimately challenging, and perhaps real exertion for an overweight body. It doesn't mean it will ALWAYS count as a workout, once their abilities and desires advance -- and if it always does, who cares?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I don't personally log housework because, as a stay at home mom, it's something that I do every day. But for people who are not always going up and down their stairs or washing walls or vacuuming, it's a form of exercise. I do log when I do a seriously thorough cleaning though. I think this is just another one of those things that women are criticized for. *shrug* Women can be really mean to each other.

This.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Still?

This thread blows. Even OP dgaf.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    How about this for a nice change - keep doing what you're doing. If it is working, keep doing it. If you aren't losing weight than maybe you need to evaluate what and how you are logging. Honestly, when I started I set at sedentary, 2 lb a week loss and logged all activity, yes, even cleaning. I am now set to active, but get my calorie goal from my fitbit. I lost both ways. What I logged for cleaning may or may not be what anyone else here logs for cleaning. I logged walking my dogs too. I walked 2 dogs that were close to 80 pounds a piece for about an hour at a time. That was(is) hard work and is cardio. Why should I only be able to log it because my intention is for exercise and not because it is something I am responsible to do, especially when I do it for cardio, I am probably getting less of a burn without the dogs. I really don't understand why people get so bent out of shape for what someone else does. I use my fitbit now and that gives me my tdee overall and I can create my deficit from there without someone else telling me that my activity wasn't valid. A year ago I wasn't physically capable of zumba or running. I was too out of shape. Because of the steps I took with your 'NOT' exercise, I was able to build up to these activities. Thankfully, I didn't have somebody telling me that I couldn't get into shape or improve myself because that is where I started.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I will say that I usually log my heavy house cleaning, such as vacuuming or mopping floors. I don't really log my daily de-cluttering (putting away toys, wiping down the high chair, putting dishes in the dishwasher, etc.). But when I do log my cleaning, I'm very conservative, because I don't want to overestimate my calories. I count even the heaviest cleaning as the "light" cleaning, and I try to be conservative with how many minutes I put. I don't see anything wrong with logging activities such as cleaning, as long as you are careful not to overestimate your calories. :smile:
  • bewitchinglife
    bewitchinglife Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I don't log my cleaning. Cleaning is a part of life (for most).

I live on a farm and do farm chores that are much more strenuous than cleaning. I rarely log those. Last week I moved a fallen tree from one end of my yard to the other, and you know I logged that..

but otherwise.. no. I don't log sex either. It seems silly to me.

If you are alive, you are more than likely moving, cleaning, doing, sexing, etc.

I only log when I make a specific concerted effort to get my sweat on (sex does apply here, but I consider that a necessary life act).
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    If you think it is legitimate to log zumba, then equally it is legitimate to log house work, neither get the heart rate anywhere near the heart rate of say cycling, and both are low impact, and involve a fair amount of just weaving your arms or *kitten* about. What applies to one equally applies to the other, depending on the intensity of the action both or neither are exercise.

Have you tried Zumba? Maybe we go to different classes, because the one I go to is not low-impact by any stretch; there's a lot of jumping, kicking, lunging, squatting, etc. involved. I wear a HRM. For me, jogging keeps my heart rate in the 150s. Zumba keeps it in the 150s and 160s for over half the time. (And no, I'm not in terrible shape, my resting heart rate is in the 50s) My HRM says that my 60 minute workout burns around 600 calories.

I don't log cleaning, but I am tempted to so that maybe I'll be motivated to clean!
  • armishia
    armishia Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Someone did add Strength Training to Cardio. You have to look for it, and add your workouts so they will count as calories burned.