swim calories

Options
2»

Replies

• samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I manually check my heart rate every 2 laps. Then I input my average into a calculator. I'll usually burn about 400 for 50 min.

Edit: I do a 10 sec count about every 5 min. Get the average of that then multiply by 6 for an average of the workout.
    All this stuff works on averages anyway. I swim in a 25m pool and I switch up my strokes so averaging is better for me. I get in about 20 laps. I don't push myself too too hard while swimming because it's one of the few things that will set off my asthma.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Cool thank you for the info. :flowerforyou:
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Here's the calculator I use. My HRM doesn't give me a total burn, it's cheap, so I have to use it every time I do cardio.
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
  • Kara_xxx
    Options
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/Calories-Burned-Swimming.htm

Actually for my body weight this calculator for light/moderate freestyle comes out with 9 cals per minute, which is pretty spot on with all you who estimated 10 cals per min. :glasses:
  • Kara_xxx
    Options
    Here's the calculator I use. My HRM doesn't give me a total burn, it's cheap, so I have to use it every time I do cardio.
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

oooh fab thanks!! :drinker:
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    my opinion - for most people who are not especially efficient in the water, it's an overestimate. I would guesstimate the actual burn for most is 75% of what MFP says, but maybe even lower depending on a number of factors.

since I swam in college and would be considered an efficient swimmer, I think the calorie burns are appropriate and comparable to the amount of effort I'm applying. it's similar to what I would burn on land doing other activities, but I know I can push further in the pool than on land - it's what I know how to do. if I were to go for a run, I wouldn't be as efficient as marathon runners, and wouldn't expect the same burn!

like I said, just my opinion :) also, I've used my Polar FT4 in the pool before and it doesn't work - I swim in a bromine pool, though, so that may make a difference!

Edited to add - efficiency comes into play with how far you can push it - obviously, someone who has never been in a pool before will expend an incredible amount of energy to swim one lap because they are inefficient. However, trained swimmers will be able to swim harder for much longer, thus where efficiency comes in.
  • Kara_xxx
    Options
    That link is really informative... also opens up a whole other can of worms....

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/articles/net-versus-gross-calorie-burn.aspx

So are the database estimates on here net or gross?? *scratches head*

[edit: I think that probably deserves a seperate thread].
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    my opinion - for most people who are not especially efficient in the water, it's an overestimate. I would guesstimate the actual burn for most is 75% of what MFP says, but maybe even lower depending on a number of factors.

since I swam in college and would be considered an efficient swimmer, I think the calorie burns are appropriate and comparable to the amount of effort I'm applying. it's similar to what I would burn on land doing other activities, but I know I can push further in the pool than on land - it's what I know how to do. if I were to go for a run, I wouldn't be as efficient as marathon runners, and wouldn't expect the same burn!

like I said, just my opinion :) also, I've used my Polar FT4 in the pool before and it doesn't work - I swim in a bromine pool, though, so that may make a difference!

Edited to add - efficiency comes into play with how far you can push it - obviously, someone who has never been in a pool before will expend an incredible amount of energy to swim one lap because they are inefficient. However, trained swimmers will be able to swim harder for much longer, thus where efficiency comes in.

I agree with this. ...I was going to try to add something, but after I re-read it, she has taken care of it.
  • Kara_xxx
    Options
    Yes that makes a lot of sense...