It's been so long, but a new NSV!

Options
redfroggie
redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
Just a little over 3 years ago my oldest daughter bought a bike. She then moved and wasn't able to take it with her so I decided to use it. I got the bike out and attempted to ride it. I went up the street about 4 blocks and had to stop and push it the remainder up the street as it was on an incline. I then tried to go a bit further down a bike path. After 10 minutes I turned back and went home. I was huffing and puffing and was exhausted. I never got on the bike again...

A few months later I decided to quit smoking. Fast forward to July, 2012. I have been exercising for awhile now, it will be 3 years since I've quit smoking and I bought a bike. (We gave the other away). Yesterday I went for my first ride. I road up the same street without stopping, went around the block then road 2.5 miles to the pub! I was a bit sweaty as it was uphill but I felt great and I didn't have to stop once! I road back and really wanted to do it again! Yay for me :drinker:

Replies

• sailorgrad
    sailorgrad Posts: 26
    Options
    Way to go! I am amazed at how important the NSV's have been for me this time around. Just being able to walk up a flight of steps without taking 5 minutes to recover is a huge accomplishment for me. So, onward, and keep on rollin'!
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Great job! Wonderful NSV. I hope you stopped at the pub for a pint :drinker:
  • redfroggie
    Options
    Thanks! We should all celebrate our NSV's. I think they are very important!
    Dougii, of course, one doesn't ride to the pub and not have a pint! :laugh:
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    :happy: Well done! we do need to celebrate the small things! These are after all the small battles that will win the war!
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Amazing NSV!!! Such a difference from when you last attempted :happy:
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    that's a GREATTT nsv!! congrats!!!
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!! You are AWESOME!!!

I quit smoking 2 months ago, started walking and riding my bike. I have ridden 55 miles just in the last 5 days. Every day you can go a little farther and it gets a little easier. The only limitation is your will to be fit.
  • Raemama
    Raemama Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I love this! Gives me hope!

Congrats on your wonderful successes in fitness (and the smoking cessation).
  • abbezen
    abbezen Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Super fantastic! Great NSV! I quit smoking 2 weeks ago. Keep up the great work! :flowerforyou:
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Glad to know our idea of riding to the pub is the same - a nice cool one :smile: And BTW - congrats on quiting smoking! I will be 18 months smoke free myself in 4 more days! Quiting smoking and then going further and by loosing weight and changing life style is an awesome accomplishment!
  • redfroggie
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It truly is an amazing feeling. And to each of you quitting, keep it up, good luck you are SO WORTH IT!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!