Apples vs Coffee for energy...

Options
Apples

Apples contain calories. The three types of calorie-providing molecules in food are proteins, fats and carbohydrates. Apples have small amounts of protein and fat in them and contain plenty of carbohydrates, including both sugar and starch. When you eat an apple, you absorb the nutrient molecules, and your cells can burn them to generate ATP, which stands for adenosine triphosphate. ATP is literally cellular fuel, and your cells use it to do everything they do that requires energy, explain Drs. Reginald Garrett and Charles Grisham in their book "Biochemistry."

Coffee

Unlike apples, coffee contains almost no calories, unless you add calorie-containing extras like milk and sugar. The "energy" you get from a cup of coffee doesn't come in the form of nutrient molecules that your cells burn to make ATP. Instead, coffee stimulates your "fight or flight" nervous system, causing your heart to beat faster and your blood to flow to the peripheral muscles. You also feel more attentive when your "fight or flight" nervous system is stimulated.
Which to Choose

Depending upon what you're looking for in a snack, you might pick an apple, or you might pick coffee. If you haven't eaten enough and are feeling tired because you're low on fuel, the apple will give your cells the fodder they need to continue working. If it's after lunch and you're ready for a nap but have to keep working, however, you might benefit more from the coffee, which will make you feel attentive without increasing your caloric consumption needlessly.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/522866-do-apples-give-you-more-energy-than-coffee/#ixzz1zqUDpfHL

Replies

• davidsgirl145
    davidsgirl145 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    BOTH!!!!!!!
    I get the best of both worlds...Plenty of energy to exercise and then, the alertness to notice any creepy dude that may be lurking at the gym and the ability to take flight if he starts walking my way! :laugh:
  • davidsgirl145
    davidsgirl145 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    But, seriously...
    Another cool post!
    I didn't know the differnce in how the body reacts to either one!!! Pretty awesome! Apples are best, imo...but, coffee is so dang good and stimulates my colon! Come to think of it ...so does the apple. So.... Again, I say BOTH!