Stupid man who doesn't know what he's talking about/rant

Options

Replies

• laurannjeffrey
    Options
    He probably thought he was helping, but instead stepped on your toes. Do what you feel comfortable with and what exercise makes you feel the best. I love it when I workout with weights and the results I get, it makes me want to keep going! And so should you!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Personally I feel he was being helpful ......

The road to hell is paved with good intentions....
  • tinglesby
    tinglesby Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    ok. I agree with you..as does EVERY WBFF PRO FEMALE fitness model in the world!! Weights WILL NOT bulk you up!!! Weights only bulk up men (and women who are juicing!). I have lost 40 lbs through cardio and weights and clean diet and honestly, the most cardio i do every day is one mile of 100 meter sprints. I love the way my arms look and my legs have never looked better!! Ignore that jerk! he obviously has no idea what he is talking about. Keep kicking *kitten* and i garuntee--you will see results!! :)
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Getting "bulky" requires testoterone.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    What a loon!

I cannot wait to go lift tomorrow using dumbbells and plates.. It's seriously the only way to go!
  • tdmcmains
    tdmcmains Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Umm... just ew. Ew, plus he is an idiot.

I guess that is the prevailing "wisdom" but it's wrong. Maybe he means well... but maybe he should also just STFU.

I think i'm in the "ignore him" camp. You know more than he does. Full stop.
  • the_green_midget
    the_green_midget Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    This is the best article I've seen about how heavy lifting doesn't bulk up ladies: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Maybe you can direct him there and say that you definitely won't look like a bodybuilder by doing weights if this girl who can do 315 lbs deadlifts looks thin and lean.

ETA: You can scroll down to the final pictures after "Staci now" if you don't want to read the whole article.
  • lil_bit_crazy
    lil_bit_crazy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm a smartass. I would have just HAD to say something nasty. Can't help it.

Srsly I tht I'd prgrs pst ur lvl. Sry u hv sml pnis syndrm, pls fnd anthr outlt. Pfrbly on ur own pink trdml, *kitten*.
  • PtBill
    PtBill Posts: 12
    Options
    Sounds to me like he has no clue what he is talking about. Weight training "anaerobic training" paired with cardio "aerobic training" is ideal for weight loss. One without the other will only get you so far. Just ignore the guy.
    Bill Lyons
    US SOLDIER that hold's an Associates of Science in the field of Personal Training from Heritage Institute .I am also ACE Certified.
    I have extensive knowledge in..
    Aerobic Fitness
    Diet & Nutrition
    Low Impact Fitness
    Sports Medicine and Massage
    Comparative Wellness Philosophies
    Preventative Fitness
    Muscular Fitness

Working on my BAS.
  • ygerman
    ygerman Posts: 10
    Options
    Don't let this guy ruin your day and burst your bubble. You are doing your research and seeing results. It's not always about losing weight gaining muscle is also a good thing.
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I've noticed people have VERY strong views when it comes to weight training, dieting and such. I compair it to politics and religion.
    I think as long as you are doing what you feel is safe and RIGHT FOR YOU, you don't need to listen to other peoples input. Be gracious. Tell him thank you, then delete it and move on.

You are doing a FABULOUS job. Keep us the good work!:drinker:

P.S. On a personal note, that guy is an idiot. :noway:
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic.

As for the guy, he's clearly wrong. It sounds like he means well, but he's just totally wrong and that's a bad combo since he probably will steer some women away from strength training. If I were in your shoes I'd start with the assumption that he really is trying to help, and based on that avoid a confrontational tone on your reply. (He won't likely listen to anything you have to say once he feels like its a fight.)

Maybe thank him for his interest in your health and his willingness to help a stranger, and tell him you know of lots of women who lift heavy without looking like He-Man. Tell him it's a pretty new workout concept for women but that there is a lot of science behind it, link him some sites and if he's genuinely interested he'll at least look at them.

If he comes back with "No, cardio is the right way" forget about him (or think about him when you're struggling on that last rep and use the anger to push it out). Keep lifting like a boss and posting progress photos. Whatever he says to women on the site won't be more persuasive than photo proof of what heavy lifting is doing for you.

Out of curiosity would you mind telling me how much you lift? I just started trying to lift heavy (doubling up my Barbie dumbbells) and I'm not sure ifnim in the right ballpark. Thanks.
    lol the only reason I still do cardio is because it's rule #1 in Zombieland.
    I love you.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Personally I feel he was being helpful ......

Best to say thanks and nothing more too much arguing in the world & we all have our own opinions ;)

He was not only wrong (plently of people are wrong when they are trying to be helpful) but he was condescending and patronizing. Not "helpful".
  • roodledoodle
    roodledoodle Posts: 183
    Options
    Just ignore him - your results speak for themselves!!! Well done on such brilliant success :smile:
  • AnitaVolpato
    AnitaVolpato Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Don't pay him no mind! He is just another man inserting foot in mouth as usual.... tell him poof be gone!
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Firt of all, I just about lost a bit of my breakfast when I saw the phrase "Big Boy Weights".

Talk about condescending.

OK, so HE thought he was being helpful. Obviously he is ignorant (and I don't mean that in an insulting way - ignorance is nothing more than lack of knowledge). Ignorance can be fixed. If it were me, I'd write him back suggesting reading materials to further his education in such matters. Politely, of course!

....big boy weights, indeed....
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Aw, c'mon! Random guy on the Internet is the best source of information on any and every subject. I think you should totally listen to everything he says!
  • historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    First of all, your post is inspiring and you look great. Second, ignore him and just keep posting pictures and entries as you lose inches and get stronger. That will show him he is wrong..

Congrats on the results of your hard work.
  • f1ctional
    f1ctional Posts: 235
    Options
    I think he wants to play with your girl parts
  • kayteesb
    kayteesb Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I used to think that too but guess what I learned...it was my carb-heavy eating that bulked me up. I was hitting the weights and eating the hell outta those carbs.
    The truth is, from what I've learned at least & in my recent experience over the last 2 years, is that you are right. Lifting weight, building muscle burns more calories...so we lose inches. The cardio is good for everything, especially the heart (duh) but to tell you or anyone else not to lift is nonsense.
    He may have thought he was being helpful but you know what works. Science shows that muscle burns more calories and you keep burning after the workout. Forgive him. Enlighten him. Keep it moving.