Gym Selection

Options
Hi Ya'll,

I want to join a gym. First choice seems to be a chain gym (Planet Fitness) because it's cheap and close to my house.
I'm not a hard core lifter - just looking for access to cardio and some weight machines (and people who look like me).

Other options would be university gym (full of people 1/2 my age) or a more "serious" gym.

Pros and cons? How do I choose? I will check em each out, but I'm willing to hear from your past experiences.

I did look for a post on this - so if one is already out there, please point me in that direction.

Cheerios!

Replies

• dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    I would reccomend choosing about 3 gyms and then signing up for a week trial in each. The most important thing is that you find an enviornment which you are comfortable so you will be motivated to go to. A week should be more than enough time to get a good feel for a gym and see if it is right for you!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I would reccomend choosing about 3 gyms and then signing up for a week trial in each. The most important thing is that you find an enviornment which you are comfortable so you will be motivated to go to. A week should be more than enough time to get a good feel for a gym and see if it is right for you!

I second that.

I go to PF and I like it. The price is right and even though the free weights don't go up that heavy it's fine for me. My husband belonged to a "fancy" gym that was a lot more than PF and on the off chance I went with him I had to pay $12 for a day pass. It got to be too expensive and he didn't like the fact that I couldn't go either (mind you my sister was the manager at this gym and made sure I paid the fee!) The gym did have a lot more equipment: pre-loaded bars, lifting cage, squat rack etc. etc. etc. and PF is limited but it suits our needs.

One word of caution: You will more than likely find people on here who will blast Planet Fitness but if you're looking for a place that has a good selection of cardio and machines then I'd look into it. If you take it for what it is then you'll find that it suits your needs.
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    I have been very happy with my Planet Fitness membership. The staff are friendly, the facility is clean and I only pay $10.00 a month. Pretty good deal.
  • Docksider16
    Options
    Thanks for the info. yes, I'll try out a week here and there.
    PF might work - I can ride my bike to the gym ;-)