Hard Boiled Eggs

Options
2»

Replies

• Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    i hardly ever eat the yolks they carry all of the cholesterol! egg whites r ideal!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Eat them! The whole thing.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    i hardly ever eat the yolks they carry all of the cholesterol! egg whites r ideal!
    Not true at all. Egg whites offer zero nutritional value, and the cholesterol in eggs has no impact on blood cholesterol.
  • ncwall
    ncwall Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites on an english muffin for breakfast i have been giving the extra 2 yolk to my dog.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

So? As was stated multiple times already, the cholesterol in foods has little to no impact on blood cholesterol. So why would you throw away the part of the egg with all the nutrition in it?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    One egg yolk has around half the recommended daily limits of cholesterol for a healthy person. I love eggs, but I try to limit myself to 14 whole eggs per week, with no limitations for the egg whites.

Dont listen to this egg cholesterol has NOTHING to do with your body cholesterol except its been proven eggs will lower your bad cholesterol numbers so long as your in your calorie goals eat as many as you like....and fat doesnt make you fat i wish people would get over this

Exactly. Dietary cholesterol (from food) is not the same as blood cholesterol.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608

Read this from a DOCTOR at the Mayo Clinic.
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    The yolk also plays a big factor in how well you utilize the protien I bate yolks. After so many years of avoiding them. Now I force myself to choke them down.
  • dnunny
    dnunny Posts: 125
    Options
    I eat the whole thing. I find that they make a great snack.
  • stanturnage
    Options
    BUMP

I was reading the post and I am not sure why people continue to state that eating the yoke of an egg has no effect on your cholesterol.

The yoke does have its benefits as there is additional protein and nutrients. However, the number of yokes you eat does cause a change in your cholesterol level. Being very active and in great physical shape I was looking to boost my overall muscle mass and decided that I would start eating the yokes with my breakfast, nothing else changed in my diet, and my cholesterol shot up over 60 points and put me over 200 and my LDL skyrocketed as my HDL remained fairly unchanged. The Doctor who was doing my annual physical become alarmed because he knew how active I was and starting asking about any changes to my exercise and diet routines. When I told him that the only change was increasing my egg yoke consumption to about 12 a week he cautioned me on eating more than 3-4 egg yokes a week. I followed his advice and went in the next month to have my labs reworked and evaluated. My LDL reduced dramatically and my cholesterol dropped to below 200.

That's my experience, first hand knowledge of what too many egg yokes can do. May not do them to each of you and that is great if you can get the benefits and not have any adverse reactions. But to just flat out tell people that it isn't true is misleading and you are putting out bad advice.

My 2 cents!