i love to run - but i need something new... jumprope?

Options
I run 3-4x a week - sometimes more (sprint intervals on some days when I train with a trainer) - but it's getting very repetitive and I think I'm plateauing because my body is used to the running...

I hate the elliptical and I do mountain bike occassionally...

I bought a jump rope with weighted handles... what do you think?

Replies

• DieselGrrl
    DieselGrrl Posts: 55
    Options
    Excellent exercise! Especially when paired with circuit training. :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Skipping would be a great addittion, my daughter's soccer coach is pushing the girls to skip for 10 or 15 min (high intensity on their non-training day routines.

You could change up your running routine to include hills, fartleks etc or (if you're not already) add strength on your non-running days.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Do you belong to a gym? I used to and loved Body Pump class and Kickboxing. Now that I don't have a membership right now, I picked up Jillian Michaels Kickboxing Fast Fix DVD. You can also find a lot of cool body weight exercises online that don't require equipment and you can change them up often so you don't get bored!
  • Chantal34
    Chantal34 Posts: 128
    Options
    I jump rope between weight lifting sets. It maximizes the calories burn. :)
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    Have you considered an incline interval plan? I found one one Pinterest. Hills and incline will add a whole new dimension to running...and the plateau will end. :)
  • spotofdirt
    spotofdirt Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I used to take crew in college...i'd recommend trying the rowing machine at the gym...its a crazy burn when you start to get into it.
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    Jump Rope is fantastic for you! You actually burn about 100 calories every 10 minutes of jump roping, plus it works your very differently. Plus you can switch it up: high knees jump rope, traditional, one leg, jumping jack (just your feet), etc. :)
  • davepavone
    davepavone Posts: 42
    Options
    Jump rope is good nice change Swimming would be much better if you can swing it
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Have you tried resistance training or circuit training? They'll help with improving overall fitness and injury prevention as well as staving off boredom.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Weighted handles are essentially useless. You want one that has the weight in the line itself, like this: http://punkrope.myshopify.com/products/beastm

I own 4 jump ropes and it is one of the best forms of cardio you can do. Burns much more calories per hour than running.
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Bicycle. It is great exercise and never boring. I am currently exploring the area where I live. Try to plot out a new path each time. I have seen deer, turkeys, turtles, geese, ducks, etc. on my rides. It feels good. You may be able to find a group ride in your area.
  • kbc525
    kbc525 Posts: 149
    Options
    i circuit train/weight train/etc twice a week as well as run.

I will try my jump rope tomorrow :) - and yes the rope itself is weighted as well.. not just the handles..

thanks everyone for the suggestions!!!

:flowerforyou:
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I get sick of running, so I generally run 2-3x per week, then throw in some cardio workout DVD's. I love Jillian Michaels' stuff, especially her newest ones. They build up your leg and core strength and keep you conditioned. Extreme Shed & Shred kicks my butt every time.
  • LyssaMarie120
    Options
    I jump rope 30 mins a day, and since i've started my lega (especially my calves) have gotten great definition, i love to jump rope after some heavy lifting, the burn is great.... ;)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Have you tried resistance training or circuit training? They'll help with improving overall fitness and injury prevention as well as staving off boredom.

^^this