Best pre and post workout foods

Options
What are the best pre-cardio and pre-strength workout foods? Also, what are the best post-cardio and post-strength workout foods? Simple, common foods please.....

Replies

• Cgrnlaw
    Cgrnlaw Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I like protein shakes, bananas and hard boiled eggs for either.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    pre workout: slow carbs + protein example- oatmeal + egg whites
    post workout fast carbs + fast protein example- protein shake + fruit
  • MZNIKKIBOO
    MZNIKKIBOO Posts: 190
    Options
    bump
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    pre workout: slow carbs + protein example- oatmeal + egg whites
    post workout fast carbs + fast protein example- protein shake + fruit

I do this too, carbs or slow burning animal proteins helps to get through workouts.
  • beamie2687
    beamie2687 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I really like chocolate milk after a workout (read: within 30 minutes). I've done some research on the reasons for why you eat what you eat before and after a workout. I just finished the first 30 days of p90x, so when I started I wanted to make sure I was doing it right.

After workouts, you need a ratio of 4:1 - that is, 4 carbs to every 1 protein. Chocolate milk already pretty much has this "naturally." Your body depletes the glycogen in your muscles while it's working out, and you have to replenish.

You can get "recovery drinks" from health food stores, but you asked for a common food!

I typically eat protein an hour or so before a workout.
  • kimmraderie
    Options
    PRE-WORKOUT: NADA. I like my burn to be just fat, not food.
    POST-WORKOUT: lots of proteins including eggs, protein shakes and an apple. (I used to eat bananas daily, but with a better understanding, have omitted them (begrudgingly) from my new lifestyle altogether (save for a rare french toast breakfast BEGGING to be topped with them.)

:)
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    PRE-WORKOUT: NADA. I like my burn to be just fat, not food.
    :)

I don't understand this statement, can someone explain please.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    i believe unless its early morning empty stomach cardio then you should ALWAYS eat pre workout.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/pre-workout-eating-should-you-be-doing-it.html
  • cbart2818
    cbart2818 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I guess I am different, I just try to all eat a clean, balanced and healthy meals throughout the day and I workout when I can. I usually try to workout after I have eaten one of my smaller snack, typically right after work. Cottage cheese, some fruit and a few nuts. Works for me.
  • ironmanwannabe
    ironmanwannabe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Sensitive stomach here so plain foods before (oatmeal with raisins and walnuts). After I like fruits, yogurts and anything else I can get my hands on :)
  • encourageurself
    encourageurself Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have just started eating pre-workout snacks. i eat hard boiled eggs, nuts, fruit, or morning star chik patties. I love them.