Kitchen Tools that assist you with your healthy lifestyle

Options

Replies

• blesdchile
    blesdchile Posts: 62
    Options
    Oh yes indeed! I keep that on hand.
    My non-stick frying pan, i can fry eggs, meat and... well pretty much anything without adding a single drop of oil :)
  • blesdchile
    Options
    I've heard a lot of good things about the MB and the Ninja.
    I bought a Magic Bullet mixer a few weeks ago to make shakes and it works perfectly for me. Easy to use, clean and comes with a bunch of recipes that I will use later. I am a little afraid to buy a scale and a good measuring cup, though... so I guess I am still cheating with measurements:) not for long!!
  • blesdchile
    Options
    What brand of scale do you use? I am leaning toward EatSmart based on Amazon reviews. I don't know anyone who uses one .
    I couldn't lvie without my kitchen scale, and my blender. I just got new batteries for my scale, I was without it for a few weeks :/ I also want another blender, mine is old. I want a magic bullet.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    digital food scale
    measuring cups
    measuring spoons

I'd be lost without these tools
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Apple corer (use it on most of my fruit) and digital kitchen scale
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I had no idea how much I was actually over eating. What I considered a serving vs. and actual serving. Now I wouldn't survive without my measuring cups or food scale (for measuring ounces)
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I love my immersion blender (stick blender). Great for making smooth soups and sauces (today I made refried beans with it) without actually adding cream.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My must haves:
    1. digital kitchen scale
    2. non-stick frying pans small and large
    3. 1/4 and 1/3 cup measures
    4. disposable 2 tablespoon measures (condiment cups)

I take this to my relatives house when I visit for a few days and have even taken this on vacation (except for the frying pans lol)
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Digital Food Scale. Measuring cups are practically useless for anything other than liquids. Try comparing things using the sizes printed on the packaging, and you'll find that "2/3 cup" of granola cereal weighs a lot more than the 85 grams claimed, for example.

Ninja Professional Blender. It's still new, but so far it's been great. This is my third blender and came highly recommended by people I trust. Hamilton Beach WaveAction stopped waving after only a month of use.

Egg Genie. I eat a ton of hard-boiled eggs, sometimes 7 in a day. This thing always grants me my wish, so long as it's for a perfectly hard-boiled egg.

Black & Decker InfraWave Oven. I replaced both my microwave and my old toaster oven with this similar device that cooks using infrared light. It's fast enough for my liking, and doesn't ruin my food like a microwave. It can reheat pizza so it's practically the same as it was fresh, and it can bake, broil, roast, and toast.

Lagostina Non-Stick Pans. I pan-fry practically everything.
  • rvagnoni
    rvagnoni Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    * Cast iron pan: natural non-stick, and you get the best sear on your meats. Perfect when you use a dry rub to seal in the flavor. Or get your fish skin crispy
    * Pepper grinder (and pink peppercorns -- these are amazing they have a bright and fruity flavor. Try it on fruit...)
    * Santoku knife (much easier to cut with than a chef's knife. Especially if you have smaller hands) I can slice things thinly, chop herbs and everything else to keep my plate looking pretty. Makes short work of making orange segments for a salad. I now have 2, a mini one to replace my paring knife and a big one for everything else
    * Microplane grater (use it to grind hard cheeses or chocolate. The shavings are so tiny and light, you can add a ton with very few calories. a huge pile of grated parmesan is around 30-40 calories this way, and the small shavings make it easy to flavor your whole plate.
    *Immersion blender: make your own smooth veggie soups or purees easily. You plug and blend in the pan
    *Mini food processor: use it for dressings, chimichurri and to make quick work of the onions
  • chm2616
    chm2616 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I love my microplane and citrus squeezer! I made lots of different salsas and use lemons and limes to zip things up!! MMM!!!
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Measuring spoons/cups and my digital food scale. I found out I was over estimating peanut butter and under estimating lean meats.
  • monica4354
    monica4354 Posts: 22
    Options
    My go to kitchen tools are:

Measuring spoons and cups
    Food scale
    Blender
    Food Processor
    Kitchenaid Mixer - okay this one doesn't have anything to do with eating healthier but it's my all time favorite kitchen gadget.
    Broiler function on my oven.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My Dutch oven and a ton of 2-cup Pyrex bowls for freezer storage. The huge pot makes whipping up a large batch of uber-healthy soup or spaghetti (I call it that, but pasta is by far the minority ingredient) super-easy, and then I just ladle it into the Pyrex bowls & stick them in the freezer. I can get 10 or 11 servings (2 cups each) out of one batch -- makes taking lunch to work SO easy, and I always have a healthy dinner option when I might otherwise be too tired to cook something healthy.

I also really dig my silicone garlic peeler -- you just put the clove in the tube, press it flat with your hand & roll it around a bit, and the skin comes off like magic. I use a lot of garlic, so I love this thing!
  • eilmeister
    eilmeister Posts: 37
    Options
    * Cast iron pan: natural non-stick, and you get the best sear on your meats. Perfect when you use a dry rub to seal in the flavor. Or get your fish skin crispy

^^This. I love my three heavy cast iron pans. I'm not a fan of coated non-stick pans at all. The cast iron pans do require some extra care (don't ever put them in the dishwasher!), but once they've been properly "conditioned", they're non-stick without any artificial coating. They keep getting better the longer you use them, and they last a lifetime. Since I started logging my food and watching what I eat, I find that I've been using the grill pan a lot more. I use this one:

http://www.skeppshult.com/en/product/0028/
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I love my cast iron pan, too. It's a family heirloom, haha! Honestly, even cooking on it takes minimal oil.
    I don't like non-stick pans all that much.

I have 3 or 4 sets of measuring cups / spoons (thank you, dollar tree!) to last throughout the day (hubby uses them too).
    I have an OLD food processor - love it - use it even to make dishwasher & laundry detergent! LOL

I have a couple items on my wish list - but for now they are just that - wishful thinking.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    4 Items. In no particular order.

1. Food Scale
    2. Measuring cups and spoons
    3. Non Stick Pots and pans.
    4. BBQ. Grilled foods cut back on Butter and oil. Same for the Non-stick pots and pans.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Magic Bullet. Smoothies and protein shakes rock my socks.
  • oranb
    oranb Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My omega 2004 masticating juicer. Now I get more than enough vegetable intake!