Bulky - What's wrong with it?

Options
I see all these posts, and hear all kinds of things... what's wrong with looking a little "bulky"? What does that even mean? My boyfriend says that I shouldn't lift weights because I'll get bigger... I told him it takes a long time for women to even have their muscle show. So, what is wrong with women lifting weights, anyway? I think it's good, and probably normal.

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    The word 'bulky' can mean different things to different people.

Bulky to me means... well.. fat. Other women think bulky means well-defined and large muscles.

I like well-defined and large muscles. I want some.
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    ... *sweat* Haha, I did mean muscle gain... the other kind of bulky is what I like to call fluffy, or squishy. :D
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be a ****.

But how many times must cover this redundant topic?
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    Nothing is wrong with it... women don't get bulky like men do, and even then it's not bad....
    :smile:
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with women lifting weights. Most people are just really really misinformed on how a woman's body works.
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    <~~~ bulky?

and who cares what anyone else thinks . . . you're doing this for you, right?
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    All the supremely awesome women who have reached the Mt. Everest of success on MFP will tell you: LIFT WEIGHTS NOW. The sooner the better! There are some amazing progress pictures. Go look through the Success Stories forum and you will be floored.
  • ShifuYaku
    Options
    Not redundant... just sexist when a man tries to tell a woman that she should look more feminine. She can do whatever the h*** she wants! :D Lift weights, run, whatever. But no one should have to put a label on what people should or shouldn't look like/do.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

Apparently, it needs to be addressed some more because I JUST read a thread about a woman afraid to lift because she will get 'bulky'. As long as there are myths out there scaring women away from lifting heavy, there will be topics like this one.
  • ShifuYaku
    Options
    All the supremely awesome women who have reached the Mt. Everest of success on MFP will tell you: LIFT WEIGHTS NOW. The sooner the better! There are some amazing progress pictures. Go look through the Success Stories forum and you will be floored.
    I like this. :)
  • ShifuYaku
    Options

Apparently, it needs to be addressed some more because I JUST read a thread about a woman afraid to lift because she will get 'bulky'. As long as there are myths out there scaring women away from lifting heavy, there will be topics like this one.

Yeah, me too. I thought that was ridiculous.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Time to distinguish "bulky" and "muscular" again.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/511229--bulky-vs-muscular-the-real-definition?hl=bulky+vs+muscular

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    "Bulky" is usually used to describe muscle AND fat. When a body builder "bulks" he purposely tries to gain weight ,some of it is muscle, but some of it is fat. With time, his 6-pack is covered in a nice squishy layer of fat and his arms are bigger but his definition is gone.

Not "bulky" body builder:
    leepriest01-200x300.jpg

Same guy, "bulky":
    lee-priest-off-244x300.jpg

However, some women, and even men now think it means looking like this:
    female-bodybuilder-9.jpg

First, this is not "bulky". Second, this woman has used steriods and been training for years. The above look doesn't happen on accident.

I'm striving for the look of a natural female body builder:
    293733_499172390107336_682018174_n.jpg

Even that doesn't happen on accident or just by lifting weights and being strong. This woman can deadlift 300lbs:
    IMG_1842__480x640_.jpg
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/511229--bulky-vs-muscular-the-real-definition?hl=bulky+vs+muscular

IDEA Fitness member

exactly
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I see all these posts, and hear all kinds of things... what's wrong with looking a little "bulky"? What does that even mean? My boyfriend says that I shouldn't lift weights because I'll get bigger... I told him it takes a long time for women to even have their muscle show. So, what is wrong with women lifting weights, anyway? I think it's good, and probably normal.

If it's the look you want for yourself, there's nothing wrong with being "bulky," whatever that means to you.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Great post Rae.
  • ShifuYaku
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Thanks for this... that's exactly what other people need to be getting into their mind. Bulky isn't a good word... and I never use it. I'm squishy :D .... however, I also don't think my boyfriend wants me to look like those muscley women either... but that's too bad. I want to. xD
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    1. Your boyfriend is an idiot.
    2. Tell him to prove it. Find a photo of a woman that is "too bulky" from lifting weights and DIDN'T use steroids to get that way. You'll never be able to.
    3. Your life and your body are yours. Do what you think is right with both.
    4. He may actually be afraid you'll end up looking better / be stronger than his tub-o-lard self and is intimidated.
    4. Your boyfriend is an idiot. (Did I say that already? :bigsmile: )
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Interpretation of one believes is utter BS to the next individual. Passing judgements upon another for any reason points to either insecurities, ignorance, or self prejudices. I say, be who you are, and always look to better yourself. If the negativity is not warranted, then it is not needed.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Bulky? I think it looks much nicer than jiggley and fluffy-empty. Smoother under clothes, too. Like your own lycra bodysuit under your skin lifting up the parts. Much sexier than bat wing arms and thighs that flatten out on the chair like melted legs.

smDSC03758.jpg