Need to Vent a little

Options
So, I have been working at my weight loss for some time now and I have managed to keep it off, but lost is slowly. Recently it has crept up a few pounds but nothing that is going to cause me to freak out. I just need to get my butt back in gear because I have been slacking lately... So anyways I'm a little annoyed at some people in my family who are not doing weight loss the right way. My aunt (who I am not close with, only see on special occasions) apparently has lost 30 lbs. Good for her that’s awesome!!!! But at the same time she put her daughter (my cousin) on the same diet. Which my grandma claims is a starvation diet!!!!! This girl just turned 15!!! She was not big by any means at all!!! She was just healthy looking!!!! Well apparently the 15 year old has lost 40 lbs and is now starving herself all of the time. She now looks like she is anorexic and sick. My aunt thinks there is nothing wrong with her and this weight loss has been good for her. I'm sorry but a 15 year old who weighed probably 130 lbs MAX should not have lost 40 lbs! It just makes me mad to think that my aunt would be so dumb and selfish to let her 15 year old starve herself to be a skeleton. And to top it of she wants a group family photo now so that she and her daughter look super skinny in the picture.... Just annoyed.

Replies

• puzwuz1
    puzwuz1 Posts: 42
    Options
    That is so frustrating because your cousin, for one, knows no better and is being influenced entirely by what your Aunt is putting her through. That is not a healthy way to lose weight, no matter how "effective" it may be. I hope that she realizes that soon and stops doing this to herself and especially to her daughter.
  • parisiantwyst
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation- frustrated because my aunt (who doesn't have a job, and hasn't since she was 20) has just lost over 100lbs in a year. Yes, GREAT FOR HER! However- it makes me feel pretty crappy when she and my mother (who lost nearly 60lbs due to an infection in her stomach that will effect her food intake for the rest of her life) BOTH tell me that I am not losing weight fast enough. I will be graduating in a year, and will be overly embarrassed if at 20 years old, both my mother and aunt (who have always been bigger than me) are teeny and I'm still huge.

I just don't understand how losing weight because of grief/sickness/unhealthy living can make people so "holier than thou"
  • babesintow
    babesintow Posts: 59
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation- frustrated because my aunt (who doesn't have a job, and hasn't since she was 20) has just lost over 100lbs in a year. Yes, GREAT FOR HER! However- it makes me feel pretty crappy when she and my mother (who lost nearly 60lbs due to an infection in her stomach that will effect her food intake for the rest of her life) BOTH tell me that I am not losing weight fast enough. I will be graduating in a year, and will be overly embarrassed if at 20 years old, both my mother and aunt (who have always been bigger than me) are teeny and I'm still huge.

I just don't understand how losing weight because of grief/sickness/unhealthy living can make people so "holier than thou"
  • babesintow
    Options

Because it was Sooooo easy it was a "MIRACLE "!!!! LOL

It is hard not to be bothered by their attitude but keep telling yourself you are doing it the right way and you will be able to maintain it. And most importantly you ARE healthier on the inside. Anyone who loses weight the right way will be more likely to keep it off for a lifetime.
  • babesintow
    Options
    So, I have been working at my weight loss for some time now and I have managed to keep it off, but lost is slowly. Recently it has crept up a few pounds but nothing that is going to cause me to freak out. I just need to get my butt back in gear because I have been slacking lately... So anyways I'm a little annoyed at some people in my family who are not doing weight loss the right way. My aunt (who I am not close with, only see on special occasions) apparently has lost 30 lbs. Good for her that’s awesome!!!! But at the same time she put her daughter (my cousin) on the same diet. Which my grandma claims is a starvation diet!!!!! This girl just turned 15!!! She was not big by any means at all!!! She was just healthy looking!!!! Well apparently the 15 year old has lost 40 lbs and is now starving herself all of the time. She now looks like she is anorexic and sick. My aunt thinks there is nothing wrong with her and this weight loss has been good for her. I'm sorry but a 15 year old who weighed probably 130 lbs MAX should not have lost 40 lbs! It just makes me mad to think that my aunt would be so dumb and selfish to let her 15 year old starve herself to be a skeleton. And to top it of she wants a group family photo now so that she and her daughter look
    super skinny in the picture.... Just annoyed.

That is scary and extremely dangerous! I sympathize with your concerns. I don't know how your able to keep your head over this. There doesn't seem to be very many options for you or for your cousin. You have to make a choice to step in or ignore it. That will completely depend on your relationship with the two of them. Your aunt seems to have hyper focused on weight loss in order to reach her goals and your cousin is at a stage where eating disorders are prevalent. Your cousin may have enter this diet all to willing and given her need to be accepted is fueling it.
    And as far as being annoyed, I totally get it. I don't like getting advice from anyone's has lost weight on some drastic diet (and put it back on) or those who had surgery and still eat poorly (not that they didn't need it, but they didn't earn it). I say get the picture to remember you on your success.