Question about Insanity

Options
The infomercial (I'm working from home today, turned on tv for a snack break and it was on) talks a lot about weight loss. My weight is fine, but I have around 19% body fat and no strength, I just want to be strong and fit instead of skinny. Body weight exercises look good, but is this the workout for me? (I'm stubborn as hell so the sweat and pain looks like a good challenge.)

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If you want to add any kind of muscle mass Insanity is not for you. Bodyweight training generally gets you strong but not by way of actually strengthening your muscles, but more from the effect of training the different muscle groups of your body to work better as a chain. For more stimulated muscle growth, you're going to want to do some form of real resistance training regimen. I recommend something like Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting for Women, or even some Kettlebell training (Skogg System is the best one IMO), or Sandbag training.
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    If you want strong and fit, I'd lean towards P90X instead of insanity. Insanity is very cardio-centric and will burn some calories. You do some body weight workouts in the program, but I don't see it as a strengthening program. Sure, you need a bit more equipment for P90X including a few bands (dumbbells are better IMHO) and a pull-up bar, but the strength gains are great. Shoot me a pm if you have some specific questions still or just post them here. They are both popular programs that do work very well.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this.
    Both of the answers above were great and informative :)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Zuzana (co-founder of Bodyrock) does pure bodyweight, cardio-style workouts. Look at how she looks! You'' have a hard time finding a more feminine-looking girl with an amazing six-pack!

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZuzkaLight

You don't need weights or anything to get an amazing body. you just have to be willing to work hard and really push yourself!
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    Try Cathe Fredrich @ cathe.com She has several dvd's that use weights. Im staring Muscle Max and I know alot of people who have had great success with her stuff.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Zuzana (co-founder of Bodyrock) does pure bodyweight, cardio-style workouts. Look at how she looks! You'' have a hard time finding a more feminine-looking girl with an amazing six-pack!

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZuzkaLight

You don't need weights or anything to get an amazing body. you just have to be willing to work hard and really push yourself!
    She's actually the exact person I want to look like. I'm not after adding mass, just trading my current soft body for a defined one.

Thank you all for your replies.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    It will help a little, but it's a pretty aggressive program. If you have an hour a day to spare, 6 days a week for 60 days then go for it. If you just want a little muscle definition you can get that by lifting heavy 3-4 times a week.