"dieting" with kids?

Options
13»

Replies

• TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Like others mine (aged 7 and nearly 2) eat the same as us - though I tend to have a much smaller portion of carbs. Also I do a variety of veg/salad side dishes depending on preferences so we all get (usually) 3 portions of veg/salad with dinner but it might not be the same 3. Unless I do a curry or casserole type thing in which case I bung it all in and they eat it regardless.

They do occasionally have fast food or even sometimes fishfingers and potato shapes at home but it is occasionally. I work on the principle that as long as 90% of their diet is good healthy food, the other 10% doesn't matter.
  • FitCowgirl8
    FitCowgirl8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am very big on having a family meal as well but as long as it is a healthy meal it isn't a problem. Try sparkrecipes.com. They are healthy and taste great! You can go in and select dietary requirements for the recipe such as low fat or low sodium etc... Everyone I cook for loves the food I make. I dont think they realize its healthy for them! If my daughter absolutely wants chicken nuggets or something like that I will make some just for her and then I will eat a salad or something healthy. We still sit down and eat together even if we are eating different things.
  • heddylyn
    heddylyn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My children's pediatrician said something to me once that stuck. He said "you determine the type of foods your children eat, they determine the amount." Kids haven't yet developed all the emotional hang ups with food that got us adults to where we are today. I think as long as you take a laid back approach to eating and offer healthy foods 99% of the time everything will be just fine.
  • lilinubo
    lilinubo Posts: 11
    Options
    My children's pediatrician said something to me once that stuck. He said "you determine the type of foods your children eat, they determine the amount.

I AGREE WITH THIS!!!

I am a junk food freak and my children (I have 4), where eating the same junk as I even though I always out healthy food over the table. I came and joined like three days ago and Im statring to change my habits, my kids are starting to ask me for oranges and they just mentioned they like grilled chicken more than the breaded they just to eat...It is amaizing but they do what I do! Lol! The bad part is that my dh has very unhealthy eating habits and they also copy what he does.