Anyone get RMR tested? How did it differ vs estimates?

Options
omma_to_3
omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
I'm getting mine tested next week at the university hospital. I suspect mine will be lower than the estimates. I know I saw someone on here recently with a ridiculously low RMB based on her height.

So for others that have gotten tested, how did it compare to the estimates? I'm also getting BOD POD tested too.

Replies

• omma_to_3
    Options
    bump
  • alltacht
    alltacht Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I got mine tested with the breathing test. I was 10cals below my average so yeah the estimate was accurate
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Thanks!

Anyone else?
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Bump I'd like to know this too
  • skbarton
    skbarton Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Scooby, Fat2Fit, etc estimated mine at 1353. The breathing RMR test through my health insurance gave me 1280.
  • waldenlev
    waldenlev Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    How did you arrange for the RMR test? Ask you DR? Call the insurance co? Just wondering since I'd love to know mine from something other than a calculation based in the "average" person. After all, I'm way above average!! :-)
  • skbarton
    skbarton Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    How did you arrange for the RMR test? Ask you DR? Call the insurance co? Just wondering since I'd love to know mine from something other than a calculation based in the "average" person. After all, I'm way above average!! :-)

I have Kaiser as my insurance provider. When I went in for a check up I asked my doctor for a referral to the nutrition services Kaiser has.

I have heard that some universities with sports medicine departments may offer various metabolic tests such as RMR, body fat, etc...
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Someone enlighten me to the acronyms and what these test are?
  • omma_to_3
    Options

I looked on a website and found out that the local university did BOD POD testing. I asked them about the RMR and they do that too.

RMR = resting metabolic rate. Very close to your basal metabolic rate which is the amount of calories you would burn each day just by existing.

BF = body fat percentage. The BOD POD tests this. I wanted to get this done since the online estimators vary from 27% to 43% for me. A HUGE variance which makes them pretty useless.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Oh, and I am paying for this myself. I think $50 for the Bod Pod testing and $150 for the RMR testing.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I am paying for this myself. I think $50 for the Bod Pod testing and $150 for the RMR testing.

The clinic in my city advertisers that bod pod will also give RMR?
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Mine was higher than I expected (it was either 1800 or 1850, it was a couple of years ago and I don't remember the exact number) but I was also breastfeeding my daughter at the time, who was around 10 months old. At around that age of the infant, women expend about 250-300 calories a day from breastfeeding, which would put my RMR around 1500-1600 at that point. The BMR calculators say my BMR is about 1587, so I would say it's pretty close.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'm also wondering if it's worth to pay the money for an assessment if online estimate is very close.
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to find somewhere to get tested (both RMR and Bodyfat) - I live in MA but the Bod Pod website doesn't seem to have any around me!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    You can pretty much 'back it out' of the equation if you're willing to meticulously track your intake for a month or so. Or if you already know what calorie level you need to eat to maintain, lose 1 lb/week, etc., from experience.

Maybe get a Fitbit for the RMR test money instead to help you watch your totals using the estimates, to better 'back it out'?
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    You can pretty much 'back it out' of the equation if you're willing to meticulously track your intake for a month or so. Or if you already know what calorie level you need to eat to maintain, lose 1 lb/week, etc., from experience.

Maybe get a Fitbit for the RMR test money instead to help you watch your totals using the estimates, to better 'back it out'?

The reason I'm having it done is because my maintenance appears to be FAR less than the estimates. I have always suspected I have a slower metabolism so I'd like to know for sure.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Oh I don't blame you. I had a physical where they did a cardio stress test on a treadmill and he said he could test my RMR by just adding the hose in, but it wasn't part of the exam normally. I really wanted to say, "Just do it!" But I cheaped out.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Just did mine on Friday. Predicted was 1688, actual was 1498. Enough of a difference to make a difference, as I try to keep a small deficit so I have energy to run. I have not been losing weight for the last year and a half, and I am happy to know this could be the reason.

Also to consider - my HRM has likely been overpredicting calories burned, if they are based on averages.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I've had it tested twice at the weight loss clinic that my doctor referred me to. Both times, it was pretty much spot-on with the estimates MFP was giving me (within 50 calories or so). I'll be up for another RMR test in another month or two.
  • lillydlc
    lillydlc Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Bumping to keep an eye on this topic