Ladies, how much do you bench?

Options
ali_b83
ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
So today was the first time I did flat and incline bench press (I used the Smith machine). I felt like weak sauce. How much does everyone else bench? I just want a comparison for what is reasonable. Thanks!

Replies

• rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Usually use 2 20lb dumbbels, so about 40lbs. I'd be excited to do a set of 10 with just the bar if I used a real bench press.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I usually just do 55 pounds, but recently my husband left his 25 pound plates on the bar and I actually did a couple of reps of 105 pounds! Since then we've gotten and olympic bar and some more weight plates, so I can no longer lift what my husband leaves on the bar!!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    My wife benches 80lbs, this took 2 months to get there. Started at 45.

But try getting off that Smith and doing a traditional bench. It's hard to compare a machine to an actual bench press.
    Especially because the bench can't move in a straight line without wrecking your shoulders. (Even though a smith machine forces it to.)

Just be sure you know how to do the roll of shame if you need to get out from under that bar.
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    Barbell bench is 130
  • geekyjen
    geekyjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I used to be super into bench pressing and at the time I weighed btw 120-125lbs and could bench (rep) 110lbs (my MFP goal was to bench my weight, and I could do that for one rep...).
    That said I helped a lot of girls start who were doing the bar alone. I think there's a huge range - I used to use this as a reference:
    http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/BenchStandards.html
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    70 lbs. No incline.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    But try getting off that Smith and doing a traditional bench. It's hard to compare a machine to an actual bench press.
    Especially because the bench can't move in a straight line without wrecking your shoulders. (Even though a smith machine forces it to.)

Just be sure you know how to do the roll of shame if you need to get out from under that bar.

I agree.

I bench 85lb.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I just started on my home bench two weeks ago and right now I have 35 pounds on the bar and do 3/4 sets of 8 reps going to pick up somemore plates this weekend but this 35pounds is still really hard for me to finish out the last few of the last set so I`m going to wait alittle while before I up it some

no incline bench is flat
  • cellokitty91
    cellokitty91 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I don't know what my max is but I typically bench 60 pounds.
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My one rep max on a barbell bench is 95 lbs and hopefully will get over 100 lbs in a month or so!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    65-80 depending. (olympic bar plus whatever I feel I can handle that day).
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I agree that non-Smith is better.

I am working on getting 3x5x105 right now (1 rep short right now). I started with 65lbs just a few month ago.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Please don't use the Smith for a bench press, it is terrible for your shoulders because as you move the bar it forces you to go in a straight line which is not the natural line when you do a bench press. You may not feel it now but trust me if you continue to use it you will eventually. I commend you for lifting, but don't let anyone tell you that ANY machine is better than the free weight exercise it is "trying" to duplicate. Hang in there!
  • megami_girl
    megami_girl Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I started out using just the Olympic bar (45 lbs) at 3 sets of 12. I am now benching 65 lbs and still working my way up.
  • ali_b83
    Options

Yeah, I'm following Jamie Eason's program, and she said to use the Smith for the incline press. So I just did both on it. That, and I wanted to get a feel for it before going all out and using the normal bench press
  • ali_b83
    Options
    Please don't use the Smith for a bench press, it is terrible for your shoulders because as you move the bar it forces you to go in a straight line which is not the natural line when you do a bench press. You may not feel it now but trust me if you continue to use it you will eventually. I commend you for lifting, but don't let anyone tell you that ANY machine is better than the free weight exercise it is "trying" to duplicate. Hang in there!

Okay, thanks for the advice! I have a messed up left shoulder as it is, so good to know.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Yeah, I'm following Jamie Eason's program, and she said to use the Smith for the incline press. So I just did both on it. That, and I wanted to get a feel for it before going all out and using the normal bench press

Really? That makes me hate her program even more than I already did. It's crap. I'd suggest Stronglifts 5x5.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    To be fair ladies, you should probably state whether your benching is true touch the chest stuff or the half benches I see all the time in the gym (women and men). Not saying anything wrong but if you are going to be strutting your 1RM, best to compare apples with apples!
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters on the smith machine. Find a spotter and go for the regular bench.

Currently I'm benching 105lbs.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I can bench my 12 year old :bigsmile:

(85 pounds) 5x5

Just looked at my log, I'm at 95 so... 90 5x5... my 1 rep max would be what? 100-105?