Hidden Salt

Options
Can you give me some tips on avoiding hidden salt. I don't even use a salt shaker and yet it is so easy to get too much salt. I can't believe how much salt is in condiments. Do you make your own condiments? Who has time for that?

Thanks !!!!

Ruth

Replies

• TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all processed foods have salt added. Even the sweet stuff.
    The more you make from scratch the less salt you will eat. There is only a couple of things that actually need salt (bread being one) though you can cut down on how much you add. Obviously not everyone has the time or inclination to make all their own stuff.

Avoid packaged sauces - whether fresh, jarred or dried in a packet. You can make a big batch of tomato sauce for using as a base for pasta sauces, bolognaise, curries, stews or whatever you like and freeze into smaller portions for use as you need it.
    Don't eat bread every meal - rice or potatoes you prepare yourself needn't have salt added. Use herbs/spices/vinegar/lemon juice/pepper for extra flavour if you need it.
    Don't buy spice mixes as usually the biggest ingredient is salt - if you like one copy down the ingredients (minus the salt) and make it up yourself. Or google for spice mix recipes.
    If you buy stock premade look for the low salt varieties.
    Cheese and processed meats like salami, ham or sausages can also be high in salt so limit your portion size and how often you have them.
    When you do buy stuff check how much salt it has in - is there another brand with less in?
    With condiments consider replacing them with either low salt versions or maybe something homemade e.g. a oil and vinegar dressing (30 seconds to make in an old jamjar). Why are you adding them? If for extra flavour try adding extra herbs and spices to the food when you are cooking it instead.

YOu don't have to stop using everything just be selective - is it worth the salt content? If you cut out 75% of the stuff with high salt then even with the remaining 25% you still will have cut down over all.
  • MandaKayMakesIt
    Options
    I'm going through the same thing right now--really trying to get my sodium down. Bob Harper recommends 2,000mg/day (just below FDA recommendations).

Here's what I'd recommend:
    -Water. Lots of water always.
    -Page through your diary and look for the higher sodium foods you're eating. Then eliminate them from your diet or cut way back.
    -Mrs. Dash is a great salt-free seasoning if you don't have time to throw your own together. I use the table blend on EVERYTHING.
    -Eat as plan as possible and as many whole foods as possible--less processed highly seasoned junk. You're body will eventually adapt.
    -Look for low-sodium options for things like deli meats (avoid ham and sausages), nut butters (go natural), and other condiments (I agree--make your own sauces and dressings: easy and fast). When doing this, though, make sure to check other stats--sugar and other flavorings may be added, obviously changing the nutrition facts.
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Get in the habit of reading the ingredients of everything you eat. You would be amazed how many Subway sandwiches contain a full day's supply of sodium in 6"
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Excellent ideas . . . ! So true about subway. . .and the funny this is nothing I eat tastes salty to me.
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I gave up salt because I have high blood pressure. I cook from scratch. Rarely do I eat packaged food. Rarely do I eat out. My downfall is frozen stuff. The frozen chicken breasts I have in my freezer have salt in them. But it still doesn't put put me over on my amounts.
    Once you give up salt you definitely notice salty things.
  • satxtrap
    satxtrap Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have to watch my sodium intake as well and end up making most of what I eat. Portion size on store bought stuff will get you too. It may look like a product has a low sodium content until you read the serving size. Salsa is a good example of that. Who eats only a tablespoon or two of good salsa? I like spicy hot things and have found that when I get the flavor balance right I really don't miss the lack of saltiness.