smoking and exercise

Options
just wondering if there are any smokers,like myself out there. I do plan to give up, but currently dont feel I can lose weight and give up smoking. The thing is i really want to start running but have heard all sorts of scary stories about combining them especially as i smoke 20+ a day:sad: . Does anyone do rigerous exercise like running and still smoke? Does it make it harder? Would love your thoughts:bigsmile:

Replies

• emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    i smoke when i drink cocktails or am stressed out.. and to be honest.. i dont think it effects my ability to exercise.. probably not what you were looking to hear.. but its the truth :)
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I have a cigarette when I drink (on the weekends only of course) and I notice that it does make a big difference in the days following of how well I can run (or breathe rather).
    I think it would be nearly impossible to run smoking a pack plus a day.
    Maybe start with walking while your quitting?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I smoke and I run. It isn't impossible, but yes of course it does make it more difficult. I plan to quit someday but am not at that point yet.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    One thing at a time, and when you feel ready, buck up for one hell of a fight.
    Smoking is the single worse thing you can do to ruin your health as you are aware.
    Just wean down for 2 weeks, then quit cold turkey.
    And it'll be the hardest addiction to break, so be ready for some painful days and nights.
    I am not trying to create drama, but use vacation time of you have it, stay home and address this like one would any addiction.
    Detox yourself that first week of "cold turkey" at home and punch through the pain.
    And here's the miserable part.
    Your hunger will BURN for a month after that first week. Just BURN!

Good luck to you, and I wish I had some little thing to say that would be the key to making this easy.
    There is NOTHING.
    Gird yourself for a tough fight, and no matter what, stay motivated and just KEEP PUNCHING!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I played Australian Rules football and rugby for years while maintaining a smoking habit. Heck yeah it makes it harder. Do yourself a favor and quit thinking that you can do both and still benefit your body in some way. You can't really. That being said, once you decide to fully commit yourself to being healthier, and making good decisions for your body, quitting will seem like the most logical thing on earth. Best of luck to you.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I've since quit smoking, but I used to run five miles and then sit down and smoke a few cigarettes immediately after. It wasn't an issue for me, but I smoked way less than you do. Ask your doc. I knew Welbutrin is a medicine they give out to help people quit.
  • rhe280
    rhe280 Posts: 71
    Options
    Smoking is the single worse thing you can do to ruin your health as you are aware.
    And it'll be the hardest addiction to break, so be ready for some painful days and nights.
    I am not trying to create drama, but use vacation time of you have it, stay home and address this like one would any addiction.
    Detox yourself that first week of "cold turkey" at home and punch through the pain.

Good luck to you, and I wish I had some little thing to say that would be the key to making this easy.
    There is NOTHING.
    Gird yourself for a tough fight, and no matter what, stay motivated and just KEEP PUNCHING!

lol, now im terrified:sick:
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking after many years. I would not have been able to run if I still did.
    Take it a step at a time, but I believe you will sense more immediate benefits out of smoking cessation than you will from weight loss.
    But you willultimately get huge benefits from both.
  • AubreySue81
    AubreySue81 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Last year I was training for (and completed) my first half marathon. I was smoking (roughly a pack a day) at that time. I did it, though I know I could have done better. To be honest, I really wasn't ready to quit at that time. I'd get done with my run and light up a smoke (quite counter-productive).

Earlier this year I decided to try and push myself to the next level and went and tried a week of a Fighter Fitness class at a local MMA gym (while still smoking). It was at that point that the hindrance my smoking put on me became quite clear. After that first week, I quit and have never looked back. My cardio/lung capacity has improved quite a bit. Though I've still a ways to go on my journey, I think quitting was the first step for me. :happy: Good luck!
  • raerae514
    raerae514 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Officially starting to lose weight is a big change for me, i could NOT give up smoking at the same time! There's nothing like a vicious workout followed by a relaxing smoke... mmmmmmm.... I plan to give up smoking when I start having babies. And I plan to start running as soon as I can find a way to not hate it... lol
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I DID smoke and do heavy cardio. Since that was just who I was, I didn't really notice a problem. But then I broke my collarbone and my surgeon said if I didn't quit smoking, I would never heal --- and that meant no more cardio ever. So, apparently that was the motivation I needed and I haven't even wanted a smoke since.

I understand your fear - but if you can just give yourself the gift of quitting, you will never regret it. If you gain a few pounds, you'll lose them. I won't say your workouts will get easier after you quit --- but only because you'll be working so much harder because you can breathe! :)

Sooner is better than later, but even later is better than never! Good luck to you!!!
  • dragonc321
    dragonc321 Posts: 33
    Options
    I was a 1/2ppd smoker for 10 years. Currently on day 4 of quitting smoking. I quit before and gained 10lbs. It fell right back off once my cravings subsided and I quit snacking. I haven't gained anything this time around (knock on wood). I snack on healthy things or do some quick exercises when I get a craving like sit-ups, jumping jacks, or push-ups. I find it takes my mind off of it. I notice a HUGE difference in my endurance and breathing now especially when I run. I can actually breathe!! It is a daily struggle, but good luck to you when you are ready!
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I quit when I started running, I noticed a huge difference. The lung burning went away in a few weeks. Running actually helped me quit, because I couldn't do both. That was over three years ago. I smoked a pack a day (for way too long).

My only suggestion is don't wean when you do quit. Cold turkey. It takes 72 hours for the body to be past the worst of withdrawal. If you wean, you suffer, but start the process all over again with each cigarette.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I quit last friday and have been doing pretty well so far. When I was smoking (pack a day habit) and exercising it really affected me. I do a bootcamp class 2 times a week and after every class I would cough so much that I thought I was going to throw up (I did a few times). I also did not run much at all when I was smoking, I walked often though. When you do decide to quit, just know that you are going to have an awful cough the first few days but that will go away. Now I am on the C25K program and running is much easier for me.

Edited to add: I have also lost 2 pounds since quitting smoking. You can still lose and quit at the same time.
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options

There is NOTHING.

FTW.

I quit in February, and it was freaking tough. For a little over a month I could NOT stop eating. I gained because of it.

Still, the best thing I have ever done. I can exercise waaaaay longer than I used to and the weight is falling off faster now.
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I quit 4 months ago and just started back up, like an *kitten*! Gugh! So mad at myself...it all started with a vodka. Grrrrr. I already feel the difference, it's awful, I hope I'm not too far gone, I feel like I can get back to the world of no ciggie butts. I had to go cold turkey. All the meds and patches, vapor inhalers were just keeping me tied to the idea of a cigarette. Good luck! U can do it! And remember, **** happens, set backs happen, u just gotta want it and keep pluging away!
  • winninga
    winninga Posts: 77 Member
    Options

There is NOTHING.

I completely agree with this. I took a week off work last year to deal with this. Allowed myself to gain a few pounds knowing that the weight would be my second phase of getting healthier. I did it cold turkey. I slept a lot. Apologized to my husband and kids before hand. I felt like I was crawling out of my skin at time. I still get the urge every now and then, but then I remember what I had to go through a year ago, and don't want to do that again. Good luck!
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i'm a very light smoker - 4 most days - 10 if i'm out with the girls. i have no problem working out.
  • cj0725
    cj0725 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You can jog as a smoker. I wouldn't recommend doing both at the same time ;-)

Once you are able to make healthier eating and exercising a habit, then try to quit by cutting back gradually then quit out-right. I am just about to that point myself. I have incorporated a good weight-lifting program, gettin ready to start the C25K program once my doctor says I can jog again.

Good luck in your goals!
  • rhe280
    rhe280 Posts: 71
    Options
    thanks guys, i know weightloss is an excuse to keep smoking....I think i was kindda hoping that if i got myself in shape it would be easier to give up.:blushing: