What motivates you to work out, when you'd rather not?

Options
Today is one of those days where I am dragging my feet. It is hot out and I am really sore from my work out yesterday... but today is just going to turn in to a day where my heart isn't in it until I am done. I know I will get there and that is what counts...but I would love to hear what motivates you on days like this???

Replies

• kranetakesflight
    Options
    Knowing that taking the day off usually turns into another day off, and before I know it I've been absent from the gym for months.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I aways feel better and have more energy after I work out. I remind myself of that. Also, my "personal trainer", my springer Abby, does not let my being tired be an excuse for not walking after work. Once I walk, I usually feel more like doing pilates or some other workout.
  • larkiedeek
    larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm training for an event in 2 months. I don't want to fail.

I think I will book another event when this is done to keep me going.
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    how sore is too sore to exercise? if you are super sore, do something light like walking in a pool, you really do burn calories there. If you are only moderately sore, do aerobics, etc base it like that. I find pool time I am losing weight hand over fist and I don't feel like I am exercising. so do some fun exercise instead of chore exercise.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    the mirror :smile:

knowing that the sooner i start the sooner i can finish... choose a short program so I've at least doen *some* exercise and it gets to a place (now) where i think I'll do a little more
  • kmurphy0506
    kmurphy0506 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had this kind of day yesterday. Work was crazy and all I wanted to do was go home and lay on the couch. But I never regret being active. So I hit the gym and felt like a million bucks afterward. It doesn't matter how fast or slow you go. You're still lapping everyone sitting on the couch. Good luck with your work out today! :-)
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I always have a race planned sometime in the future, so knowing I have to stay in shape and train keeps me motivated.

On the days I just don't feel like working out, I tell myself to do it for 10 minutes and if I'm still not in the mood or I'm just too tired/achy/whiney then I give myself permission to stop. But everytime I've done this, I've gotten 10 minutes into whatever I'm doing and I end up finishing. I figure I'm dressed for it, I'm already sweaty, might as well "get 'er done!" :laugh:
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Knowing how much lousier I'd feel if I skipped the workout.
  • MalissaDC
    MalissaDC Posts: 123
    Options
    For me it's my progress and wanting more progress.

Tomorrow is 10 weeks of exercising 5-6 times a week which is a first for me. It's in the 90's or 100 here all this week and we have no air.

3 of the days I exercised this week, I totally wanted to veg on the couch in front of a fan, but I realized if I let myself quit I'll slide ride back where I was--out of this habit I've worked hard on.

I did cut back--for example today I was going to walk 3 miles with Leslie Sansone but by the end of mile 2 I felt sick so I quit. But at least I did it:)!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    What motivates me? Getting all this fat off me ASAP. It's time for this extra weight to hit the road. Also, though I may sometimes regret starting a workout, I NEVER regret finishing one! I always feel so good when I am done.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    The fact that my personal trainer expects daily logs and will kick my a$% if I don't do it.
  • galaxiegal
    galaxiegal Posts: 90
    Options
    the mirror :smile:

this^

whenever I feel like skipping a workout I go sit in front of the mirror and look at my biggest problem areas until I feel motivated. Just remember even a 10 minute workout is better than no workout, plus once you start you will probably want to continue!
  • MogwaisGrandma
    MogwaisGrandma Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I look great compared to what I did a few months ago and love all the comments I get. If I stop so will the compliments.

I am proud of my training regime. I now do a minimum of 4 days a week in the gym and I no longer want to disappoint myself of my training buddy/PT.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Knowing how much lousier I'd feel if I skipped the workout.

this.

also, when I start talking myself out of going for a work out, I tell myself ok,,,just go and do ONE measly exercise like a set of miliary presses or one set of squats and then quit if I still want to, Everytime I end up staying and getting ina good workout,
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    The regret of not going motivates me to go. Plus, I can eat more if I workout. ;)
  • susiebear29
    susiebear29 Posts: 266
    Options
    I am training to be a nurse and have spent years looking after elderley and sick patients, I do not want to end up with diabetes, heart problems, poor mobility etc....this always motivates me I want to be strong and healthy for as long as I can!! Am also hoping to do my first half marathon in March to raise money for a cancer charity, when Im struggling on a run I just remind myself of that goal!!! :smile:
  • kierstin1976
    kierstin1976 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I feel guilty when I don't workout. I know that about 10 minutes into it, I'm going to pumped up and ready to go.
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    When I need motivation, I come on here and look through the success stories forum. :)
  • mommasox
    mommasox Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Knowing how good I will feel after my workout is my biggest motivator. Another is.... I know if I work really hard I can eat more!

Also... even though I know its impossible, I feel like I look better after a workout.
  • Patg2728
    Patg2728 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    look deep in yourself and think about when you don't workout . how you feel? then think about how you feel when you do . its all baby steps . but everyday is a new goal . try to beat out the day before with longer walk or add a swim . also you know shopping or anything you like is a workout . pick something you like doing and push yourself at it . it will not feel like work