too much protein?

Options
I'm doing really good sticking within my calories but everyday I'm over on my protein. I don't know if this is hurting me or not. I eat all lean protein ( mostly elk meat) but I don't know if it's bad to be over everyday. Does anyone know? I think that it's probably alright if I stay within the calories, but I'm not sure. Any insight into this and how to cut back on the protein if need be would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!!:tongue:

Also I'm almost never over on my cards or fats... I don't know if that matters or not.

Replies

• throughHisstrength
    Options
    I'm doing really good sticking within my calories but everyday I'm over on my protein. I don't know if this is hurting me or not. I eat all lean protein ( mostly elk meat) but I don't know if it's bad to be over everyday. Does anyone know? I think that it's probably alright if I stay within the calories, but I'm not sure. Any insight into this and how to cut back on the protein if need be would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!!:tongue:

Also I'm almost never over on my cards or fats... I don't know if that matters or not.
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I am the same exact way. My meals are very ballanced, I eat mostly, fruits/veggies, egg whites, tofu, lean meats, and whole grains. I usually am double what I should be consuming in protien. My goal is 40g but I am around 80g to 90g a day. I haven't grown a third eyeball yet. So everything seems to be fine. But I have been wondering the same thing.

I am also under on my carbs and fat as well. But my calories are right where they should be.
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    I have been told by a doctor that with a good exercise program excess protein on a plan like this will not hurt you because it helps support lean muscle growth
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I don't think its bad to be over protein either. I don't even track it anymore because I know I am usually over I eat a lot of chicken and turkey. You can switch up the food tracker to track something else besides protein.I track trans fats instead I don't want any but I will get a quick heads up if I am eating anything with it in it. maybe you want to do that?
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    If you have to be over in any group, protein is it. Protein will help you retain your muscle mass while you're losing weight, which means that the weight that you're losing is fat and not muscle. If you're working out hard, and doing weight bearing exercises, then it will help you increase your muscle mass, which means that your metabolism will increase and your percentage of body fat will go down.

Great job for eating all that protein. :happy:
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    This is from sparkpeople.com :

How Much is Enough Protien

Health organizations recommend limiting your protein intake to 10-35% of your total calorie needs. SparkPeople.com is programmed to calculate your protein baseline to be 20% of your total calorie intake. For someone who is consuming 2000 calories, this would equal 100 grams of protein (at 4 calories per gram, equals 400 calories). In most cases, this example protein intake could still be considered healthy if it ranged from 50 grams (10% of intake) to 175 grams (35%).
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Most Americans get way more protein than they need. One negative effect that I am aware of is that there is a correlation between high consumption of animal protein and higher rates of osteoporosis. Apparently, animal protein can 'leach' calcium from your bones. If you do a Google search for "animal protein osteoporosis" you will find several references. Extremely high protein, low carb diets have also been associated with kidney problems.

Try adding in some whole grains and healthy fats. Nuts are a good source of both protein and healthy fat. You can toss vegetables with a little olive oil and garlic, or add a piece of whole grain bread to your meal. Oatmeal, brown rice, barley, and quinoa are other good whole grains. You might try getting protein from other non-animal sources like beans, legumes, nuts, nut butters, and tofu. Also, make sure that you are eating a wide variety of fruits and vegetables so that you are getting plenty of other nutrients in your diet.

Don't worry - it may take some time to start widening your dietary horizons. Just start with small goals, like picking a few vegetables or whole grains you enjoy and start gradually working them into your diet. You are already doing a good job watching your calories - congratulations! The trick is learning how you can fit more carbs and fats into a balanced diet without losing track of your calories. As you get more comfortable with more foods, it will get easier!
  • LibethV
    Options
    If I'm doing math correctly, my recommended 1200 calorie a day diet would include 30-105 grams of protein to remain in healthy range. I do believe, however, that the protein your body doesn't use is converted to stored fat, just like excess fat grams, carbs and calories. I'm thinking if you're losing weight, you're obviously not storing the extra protein as fat though.
  • throughHisstrength
    Options
    Thanks guys that was helpful. I already put in everything that I'm going to eat today and I still have 500 calories left(including exercise calories) but only 1 gram of protein, but I'm not going to worry about it anymore!! Once again thanks and good luck to everyone!! Happy Friday!!:wink: