exercising with bad knee

Options
I was just wondering what type of exercise those of you with bad knees do? I have had 4 surgeries on my knee and am in pain most of the time after walking moderate distances or going up and down stairs which I have now in the house we live in.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Michelle

Replies

• marisol7649
    marisol7649 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    yoga
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Bicycling, particularly with a stationary bike, puts little strain on the joints, but still works your leg muscles. Swimming and water aerobics, of course, are good. Supposedly, the elliptical doesn't strain your knees either, but I don't know about that one.
  • sparkles321
    Options
    I have bad knees too. I bought those wrap-around weights from Wal-Mart. You can adjust the amount of weight from 1-5 pounds. I wrap them around my ankles and then 1) from standing, lift foot to my butt; 2) from sitting, extend leg straight out; 3) do straight-leg leg lifts (either from sitting or standing). This way I can work some of those muscles without using my full body weight.
  • dragonfly81
    dragonfly81 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics should work well for you. I take them for my hip and knee and it does wonders for me. Also, I noticed that while hiking, if I took the stairs quickly, while it hurt, eventually it hurt less and less. I also take ibuprofen either right before or right after a workout to minimize the pain in my hip and knee. Do you have that option?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering what type of exercise those of you with bad knees do? I have had 4 surgeries on my knee and am in pain most of the time after walking moderate distances or going up and down stairs which I have now in the house we live in.

Any advice would be appreciated!
    Michelle

There may not be a single answer, although water exercise could be a good alternative, esp to start. It is important to know why the knees are still hurting and if there is any treatment or rehab or other device that can help.

I am just speculating here, since this is a general forum--if my remarks are not germane to your situation, just ignore them. But it has been my experience, esp given the improvements in arthroscopic surgery and the sad state of our health insurance coverage, many people get short shrift when it comes to rehab following joint surgeries. Sometimes doctors do not have the time, interest, or expertise to effectively supervise follow up care.

Yours may be a case where the underlying condition/damage is to the point where rehab cannot completely alleviate your symptoms, in which case there might be braces, sleeves, etc that can help (in many cases they are unnecessary or counterproductive, but if you have had 4 surgeries on the same knee, you might be at that point where they can help).

Unfortunately, some people reach a point where they can no longer sustain weight-bearing exercise. Or they are caught in a vicious circle in which weight loss is necessary to help take load off the joints, but exercise is extremely difficult because of the excess weight. If that is the case, then the pool may turn out to be your best friend. Just keep in mind that, in terms of weight loss, water aerobics requires more of a time and effort commitment.
  • meshell216
    meshell216 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Well unfortunately I have had multiple procedures on my knee and the last just made my knee worse. I had no cartilege behind my knee cap and my only option is a partial knee replacement and I am only 32 and do not want to do that until I can't stand it anymore. This is one of my main reason for losing weight.

Water exercise is really not an option. There is no public pool near me except Lake Huron and that is a little too cold!! I have been walking and I do physical therapy exercises but still have pain. I do take ibuprofin.

Thanks for all of the advice. I will just have to try several things to see what helps
    Michelle
  • dragonfly81
    dragonfly81 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Is there a local college near you? That's where I'm taking my water aerobics class. Or try local hospitals or your doctor's office. They should be able to point you in the direction of something that can help strengthen your knee. Good Luck!