Mexican Restaurant: Educate me on calories please!!

Options
It's girls night out tonight and we're meeting at a mexican restaurant/bar. I LOVE LOVE LOVE mexican food, my absolute favorite, but I need help on making better choices! I can't find the restaurants nutitional info online, so I guess I just need estimates and ideas of something on a typical menu that's a better choice than my taco, enchilado, chile relleno, rice and bean combo that could feed three people. I've eaten really light and worked out today, so I have quite a few calories remaining, but throw drinks into the mix and they'll be gone in no time,

Also, When you go out, do you worry about calories or are you more focused on portion control?

Replies

• runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Soup is nice you just have to watch the sodium. Salads work too even with the taco shell. Ala carte tacos are nice too. Watch snacking on those "free" things, the chips and salsa, beans, whatever they give you before the meal. I find eating out is more about portion control than anything. Meals at those restaurants can be huge so that is why I don't order them.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I think the best thing you can do is just have an "aw, screw it" night and get what you'll enjoy. As long as you're eating in your goal range for all your other meals, one big meal isn't going to undo it.

Say, for instance, you're typically eating at 500 calories below maintenance to lose one pound a week. Now say that the meal and drinks you absolutely love will put you 1000 calories over your daily goal. So instead of having a 3500 calorie weekly deficit, you'll end up with a 2500 calorie deficit for the week. Instead of losing one pound that week, you may lose 0.7 pounds. You're still losing.... you're just losing about 5 ounces less than you would have if you stayed under your calorie goal.

Personally? A fun night out with the girls (which probably doesn't happen all that often) is well worth five ounces to me.
  • soygurl
    soygurl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Chicken or veggie fajitas with corn tortillas are usually a great choice. Either no rice and beans on the side, or ask for whole beans (instead of refried), and no cheese. Either skip the free chips and salsa, or take one small handful, and then stop. It's REALLY easy to get distracted by chatting, and eat a ton of chips while waiting for food!

Also, if you're having margaritas, the regular ones are usually a better choice that other flavors.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Anything cooked in foil or mentions tequila is negative calories.
  • usernamejoe
    usernamejoe Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Grilled Chicken and veggies, no more than 10 chips, no queso, 1 taco at the most if I don't eat just grilled chicken. Water the whole time and maybe a margarita...

this is my rule book when going to mexican rest.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I think the best thing you can do is just have an "aw, screw it" night and get what you'll enjoy. As long as you're eating in your goal range for all your other meals, one big meal isn't going to undo it.

Say, for instance, you're typically eating at 500 calories below maintenance to lose one pound a week. Now say that the meal and drinks you absolutely love will put you 1000 calories over your daily goal. So instead of having a 3500 calorie weekly deficit, you'll end up with a 2500 calorie deficit for the week. Instead of losing one pound that week, you may lose 0.7 pounds. You're still losing.... you're just losing about 5 ounces less than you would have if you stayed under your calorie goal.

Personally? A fun night out with the girls (which probably doesn't happen all that often) is well worth five ounces to me.

Same here.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Chicken or veggie fajitas with corn tortillas are usually a great choice. Either no rice and beans on the side, or ask for whole beans (instead of refried), and no cheese. Either skip the free chips and salsa, or take one small handful, and then stop. It's REALLY easy to get distracted by chatting, and eat a ton of chips while waiting for food!
    This^^^ Also, they come with tortillas, so to save calories, don't eat the torts; just the meat and veggies. Probably the healthiest, lowest cal food you can find in a Mexican restaurant.

As far as the chips, I'd say STAY AWAY!!!!!!! Because once you start, it's hard to stop :laugh: But seriously, if chips/salsa are a weakness for you, I wouldn't even have one.

Enjoy!
  • bserwack
    bserwack Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Split something with one of your friends!

Blended margaritas have more calories than on the rocks.

Use a lot of salsa instead of sour cream.

Here's a good slideshow from "Eat This, Not That!" :http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slideshow/10-ways-eat-healthy-mexican-cantina
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options

It has been my experience that too much tequila will negate your whole meal although I DON'T recommened IT
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

This. I dont go out to eat very often. I just enjoy myself when I do.
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options

This is 100% fact.
  • wiglett
    wiglett Posts: 53
    Options
    pescado ceviche con tostadas
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,010 Member
    Options
    Share or take half home. Check out similar restaurant meals that have nutritional posted -- that should give you an idea of how different choices compare.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Usually if I go out with friends, we will order one of those platters then split it. Normally a platter is about 2000 calories, but split between four gals is reasonable.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options

This is 100% fact.

Double negative if bacon is involved
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I order from the a la carte menu instead of getting a meal. Usually shrimp fajitas with extra peppers and I always plan for it. I'm going out tonight and planned for this all week by being extra careful with my calories and hitting the gym. Well deserved and I cannot wait!! Mexican food is such a weakness of mine, but preparation helps A LOT with negating the guilt that used to follow.
  • T_X_L
    T_X_L Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Eat what you'd like (within reason), and get back on the wagon tomorrow. Me and the missus do a date night every weekend, where we usually go over our carbs with rice from sushi. We get back on track the next meal, and don't regret a minute. We may skip the date night if we have another special occasion that weekend.

I actually believe doing this 10% of the time throws your body off, in a good way. Keeps if from being optimally calorie efficient. We've lost ~55 lbs between the two of us. Oh, and we do metabolic resistance training 3-4 days/week.
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    As much as I love Mexican food, I avoid it for this very reason unless I have no intentions of counting any calories that night!
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Carne asada tacos with corn tortillas! mmm!