Eating back calories not ate throughout the week?

Options
2»

Replies

• melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I used to this all the time when I followed the Weightwatchers programme, so I know it works (for me at least!).. but there are weeks when it doesn't, for whatever reason. So i wouldn't make it a regular thing, but works well for damage control to help eleviate the guilt and fit it in around your lifestyle.

Any diet you follow has got to work long term... its changing your habits. If you have a bad meal or a treat, move on, allow for it, no guilt.

I am starting to do this again (only when i have to mind!) following MFP calorie counting - I am trying to make this a lifestyle choice, rather than just a diet to reach a goal. I am addressing my relationship with food, and so far it seems to be working for me.

I had an "off day" at the weekend, so I'm saving a couple of 100 cals each day (by exercising and not eating back, or simply making better choices/less snacking) - this will "allow" for my excesses over the weekend - at least mentally, if not scientifically (on the scales as well - one hopes).... sometimes it works, other times less so.. but definitely eleviates the guilt for "falling off the waggon"...

So it has to be a good thing, for me at least...

x
  • Perixi
    Perixi Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I do this so that when i go out at the weekends i can enjoy myself without feeling guilty, obviously dont go mental though.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    You have to draw a line somewhere though. No point saving calories for a whole month then blowing them in one hit. Sure, you will probably weigh less than you did at the start of the month, but the gain on the scales will damage you mentally.

Probably best that you just make sure you average your intake over the interval between weighing yourself. When you get on the scales, you write off any calories you have saved up until that point and start again, that way you are less likely to see a gain.

Whatgif.gif

OP stop overt hinking this stuff.

Eat at a deficit daily to lose weight.
    Once every week or 2 have a field day and eat a whole pizza.
    This isnt rocket surgery!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I do this. I also make sure if I am going to have an excessive calorie day I work out that day!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I sometimes bank my calories for a cheat day... I eat under all week most of the time anyway that way when I have a cheat meal/day I don't feel so guilty about those extra calories.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I did a variation on this when I lost 25 lbs. on WW. I would eat under my points allotment all week & then have 2 pieces of pizza every Friday night. But I kept to a rigorous regimen everry single other day, NO exceptions.

I've found that my drunken Friday nights with binge eating didn't mess up my results, I think it goes back to the WW method of saving up points for the weekend.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Have a big giant high cal day! mmmmmmmm
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. My method is a bit different. I "save" my workout calories all week and then have a spike day where I eat all the yummy junk foods and not feel guilty because I just used up my banked calories. I have been losing weight so I can't complain about the method

I do something similar to this. I am "strict" Sun-Friday and then Sat I usually allow myself a little leadway to eat unhealthy foods--i usually don't log these days--I KNOW I'm doing it and I KNOW I'm probably going to eat over my calories. But the KEY to having one or two off days is that you don't let it take you off track completely--gotta make sure you get back on track the next day.