Easy Recipes for the College Student

Options
Hi everyone,

Now that I'm back at school, I have to start cooking for myself and I'm already running out of ideas again. Does anyone have ideas for simple or semi simple dinners I could make? I usually have lots of chicken, ground beef, and turkey burgers, as well as cans of vegetables, pasta, sauce, rice, and some fresh fruit and veggies among other things. I have access to a grill (george foreman), stove and oven. Any help would be greatly appreciated, esp if you can half the recipe so that I don't wind up making a ton of food for one person! Thanks so much!

Replies

• marissa4354
    Options
    mrsdash.com has some great recipies! easy to make and delicious! I'm actually gonna make the fettuccine with fresh vegetables tonight. made it a couple times before, and it's delish!
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I like to cook the whole package of chicken at once then I can eat it for lunch or dinner for the week. Sometimes I'll buy turkey cutlets and bread them with egg and bread crumbs. I'll either cook the chicken plain and do more with it later or I'll cook a recipe but its lasts awhile in the fridge... :happy: :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • ldbenincasa
    Options
    Do you have a crockpot? They sell the small ones that would be perfect for one or two people. If so, there are many things you could make with your meat and veggies.
  • mwatanabe
    mwatanabe Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The crockpot really has become one of my favorite little gizmos. I will buy chicken or pork, season it, let it sit, then eat it the rest of the week. I suggest the big one just for that reason!
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    stir fry.. it usually takes under 30 mins to cook and you just have to put all those fresh veggies in and mmm.. stir fry....:love:
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Tastespotting.com is my go to site for everything food. It has beautiful pictures of food and when you click on one that looks appealing it takes you to a recipe. It is an awesome site that I, as a fellow college student, have used many times!
  • marisol7649
    marisol7649 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Do you have a crockpot? They sell the small ones that would be perfect for one or two people. If so, there are many things you could make with your meat and veggies.

Crock pot is the BEST!!!
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Mini pizza's on Orowheat sandwhich thins...lowfat cheese, pizza sauce, veggies & canadian Bacon stick in the oven
    Stuffed baked potatos
  • KS21678
    Options
    I use allrecipes.com

There you can find tons of recipes and the best part is.... you can change the amount of portions needed and it recalculates everthing. You can kinda figure out ingredient wise when to substitute if needed for a recipe you like (ex: if it calls for regular sour cream, try using a lower fat version in it)

The site also allows you to search for a recipe based on ingredients....so if I have extra chop meat and other goodies in the fridge to use up, I plug those in and it gives me ideas of how to use them up.
  • kroger7
    kroger7 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm in college and live alone so I have to cook for 1 (or 2 if my bf visits) all the time and sometimes it's a struggle!! I like bettycrocker.com because it tells you the nutrition info, and i like marthastewart.com because she has a classic recipe for just about anything, as well as recipes for a budget, recipes for single serving, lighter recipes, it's great. Here's one of my go-to recipes

Ranch Chicken

Simply top a chicken breast with a tbsp or two of light ranch dressing, place in a pan (spray lightly to prevent sticking) and bake in 350 degree oven for 20 min. At this point, sprinkle with some light mozzarella cheese and continue baking for 10 more minutes. Finally, turn on the broiler and broil it for 5 minutes or until the cheese is lightly brown and crispy. So good, I serve with rice or couscous and a nice big salad. Cheers! :drinker: