Why do people always have to put down my diet

Options
I'm just trying to find a diet that works for me and makes me feel good. It seems like every time I find a diet I get real excited about other people are always putting me down.

For example my girlfriend told me about the bitter truth thing on youtube. I watched it and I went on the diet with her to support her, then I tell my co-works at work and they rip on me for weeks everything I eat is picked apart and I never hear the end of how unhealthy it is.

Then I hear about the DASH diet, it seems like the perfect diet for me, does my girlfriend support me absolutely not, She laughs at me, and tells me it will never work and it's the exact opposite of what I need ....

I think I just need some new friends

Replies

• jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    You could stop falling for fad diets and just eat healthy.

Just a thought.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I would just do covert dieting. I just started doing intermittent fasting(leangains style) and you wouldn't believe the flak I have gotten. I now tell noone when I am fasting or else I will be accused of being anorexic or my muscles will wither away. Well, from my recent pictures it is proof they have not.
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    That really sucks that you can't find support. Maybe just keep your ideas of what diet you want to go on to yourself, or make it as simple as mentioning that you are trying to eat right. No one really needs to know how you are going about losing weight unless they want to support you. Finding what works for you is really important and there are always going to be critics out there. Stay strong and keep trying. Best of luck.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Eat 20% less than you burn daily. Eat 1g of protein per lb of lean mass.

Your diet problems are solved, good sir.
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Your profile says that you are interesting in lowering blood pressure. This is what the DASH diet is for. Why don't you give that a try for a while and see how it works. Just ignore the non supportive ones and I wouldn't even bother discussing it with your coworkers. People can be strange; who knows why they make the comments they do. Jealousy, joking, boredom?
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    You could stop falling for fab diets and just eat healthy.

Just a thought.

this.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

Just a thought.

What he said ^^
  • BetterThanExpected
    BetterThanExpected Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Your profile says that you are interesting in lowering blood pressure. This is what the DASH diet is for. Why don't you give that a try for a while and see how it works. Just ignore the non supportive ones and I wouldn't even bother discussing it with your coworkers.
    ^This. It's up to you to decide which diet works best for yourself, and if you want to try it then you should just ignore the naysayers and go ahead.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    yea, just eat healthy -- that's maintainable. and um, screw what anyone else thinks.
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Most people are critical. I just ignore them. Also, I never ask people's permission or their opinion (unless I really want it, which is just about never). Sounds like you can either gain their approval or do the diet you want (not both).

Having said that, it is difficult to find support for fad diets, but it is a free country and you should carry on as you wish! Best of luck!!!
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Why do people always have to put down my diet?

Why do you listen to them?
  • builtforlife
    builtforlife Posts: 259
    Options
    Just quit your job.
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Dash diet is for peole who have high blood pressure.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

Just a thought.

The DASH diet is not a fad diet. It is recommend for those that have a medical need (high blood pressure, heart disease). Not sure why this poster would need it but it wouldn't hurt in any way to be on it. I would think it would be more restrictive then what is needed in his situation.

Edit: just read profile and see that you want to lower your blood pressure. Then yup that is the one you want to be on.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Eat 20% less than you burn daily. Eat 1g of protein per lb of lean mass.

Your diet problems are solved, good sir.
    ^^^^^^
    THIS...good luck....
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Fad diets. Fab diets are fabulous, fad diets are woeful things altogether.

Anyway, ignore people like that, people tend to get like that, commenting about what people eat. If you think it's the diet you need, ignore them.
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    that is called peer pressure. people can be really mean. Keep trying. eat healty things. Veggies and fruit. :)
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Focus on your health. You don't need to broadcast that you're dieting. It's a lifestyle change to become healthier. If they are true friends, they will understand and support.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Just quit your job.

Bad reason to quit.

Just don't listen to them and just eat healthy with proper portions and workout. Plenty of water.

I wouldn't quit unless I knew I had a backup job.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    What she said, I hate the word diet. Fuel for you body, that's the ticket:)

Just a thought.

What he said ^^