Holding on to old clothes that don't fit anymore...

Options
13»

Replies

• CGreen177
    CGreen177 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I kept my favourite jeans - they fit me again now! I also have a pair of trousers I bought years ago thinking 'one day I'll lose a bit of weight and they will look great'. Turns out they are for people with stick thin thighs (not me) and huuuuge waists (not me) - so they have just joined the pile of clothes going to charity. I hardly have any clothes that fit me any more, so going shopping next weekend to rectify that. I refuse to throw some of my dresses though, so a trip to the tailors is also in order once I am the weight (and shape) I want to maintain at.
  • nothing1994
    nothing1994 Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Theres a "huge" sale at Lasenza here ( $3 on all kinds of undies , thongs etc) & crazy sale on langerie so i couldemt resist getting some things that i wont fit into for a few months! I also buy smaller clothes if i absoloutly love them. They make me kind of sad sometimes knowing i once was able to wear them freely and now cant. But more than anything they motivate me because i kmow i was once this size and CAN be that size and fit into the sexy things i buy. So i use them for motivation :)
  • Chelliemitchell
    Chelliemitchell Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My wife and I are sorting out our closet today (I know how to show a woman a good time!) we have vowed never to return to the dark days of overweight. My fat clothes are going! After all, I will never need them again will I?i'll let my wife answer for herself

Actually I don't have many/any fat clothes, I just wore the same stretchy leggings while I was fatter and kept my nice slim clothes staring at me in the wardrobe, willing me to wear them again! It made me so fed up seeing all my lovely things and not being able to wear them and that's what stopped me getting fatter and made me do something about it. I absolutely refuse to buy a size 14 (uk), very shallow of me I know. Now I'm back in all my size 10 and 12s and adding to my nice slim clothes and I love looking in my wardrobe again.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Now I wish I had owned some jeans from my highest weight. Or something without elastic in it, anyway. I guess I'll keep this one skirt I have that I can't wear now for fear it will fall off in a public place.

I thought I'd thrown out all my skinny clothes except one skirt, I was delighted to find some tiny little jeans and a couple of shirts. I would not have been as delighted to find them when I first started losing. It would have been harder to imagine myself actually being able to get there again. Now I'm a lot more confident. And even though it's hard to believe I ever fit into those things, I know I did, and I will again.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I've always had problems with holding on to clothes. When I first put on weight years ago, I did get rid of a couple of things, only for the weight to drop off again! After that, I felt I had to keep clothes in the various sizes. I found it particularly difficult to get rid of bras because I owned expensive ones (I used to love Rigby and Peller). Once my weight stabilised at it's highest, I did start getting rid of some of the smaller clothes, but now I'm finding that I don't have much to wear on the way down. And yet again, it's the bras which are the annoying thing. I really do wish I'd kept some more bras.

I do have some clothes that I've kept for sentimental reasons, and some are practically antiques! I used to wear vintage clothing as a teenager in the 70s and 80s, and I have kept a few of those pieces which date from the 20s to the 60s. I used to wear them up until 10 years ago, when I started putting on weight. I find it difficult to just throw them away now that I've had them so long!

I've lost about 22 lb in total and I think I've gone down from a UK 22 to a 20, but the 22s are fine with the occasional safety pin to hold trousers up! I don't want to splash out on new clothes yet. For one thing, I want to be sure the weight loss is going to stick. For another thing, it would probably make better financial sense to hold on until I can squeeze into an 18, then the 18s should still be wearable when I'm a 16.
  • vampire_cakes
    vampire_cakes Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i have these size 4 pair of jean i use to wear when i was 18. while it would be nice to fit in them id say i was most happiest being a size 6. :)
  • Evelyn2050
    Evelyn2050 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I would encourage you to put away your "too small" clothes since looking at them only depresses you. You'll be thankful you have them in a couple months when you are getting smaller and need them. You don't want to have to spend money on clothes when you already had some. :) Good luck on your journey.
  • jfish428
    jfish428 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Don't throw them away!! Pack them away and put them somewhere you can't see them daily. If you're committed to getting into shape, you WILL fit in to them again!! And when you do, it is the GREATEST feeling in the world. I tried on clothes last week that I haven't worn in years!! Now almost all my too small clothes fit and I'm pretty sure some winter clothes in that box won't fit in another 4 months!! BEST FEELING in the world!!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness I did, or I would be walking around naked right now! At some point I hope to run out of my smaller clothes, but until then, I am happy they are there for my losses