Does anyone have a good recipe for couscous?

Options
ctucker07
ctucker07 Posts: 37 Member
Hi! I was wondering if anyone has a good recipe for couscous. I love the stuff but I only have one recipe and I want something different.

Replies

• jess8549
    Options
    I cook it in chicken broth and add fresh minced garlic.
  • marisol7649
    marisol7649 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a low fat recipe.
    Grilled Salmon with Olive oil.

I cook the couscous as the recipe calls.
    I then chopped and cube fresh tomatoes and some crumbles feta cheese, Mix it up and serve it as the bed and top off with the salmon.
  • marisol7649
    marisol7649 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    oh I almost forgot this onejust did it a few days ago.
    In the crock pot add stew meat,carrots,onions, water and a bay leaf, Salt some lemon pepper.
    When I got home I chopped some zucchini threw in the crockpot.
    I let it cook a while then made the couscous as the direction called for.
    I serve the couscous and put the stew on top with the extra broth poured or over the whole plate,
  • sarachana
    Options
    im from the middle east and the way we cook it is basically the directions on the bag and we boil in a separate pot: potatoes, sweetpotatoes, chick peas, carrots, zucchini and onion with chicken soup mix. boil the veggies for quite a while and then serve it on top of the couscous

the second recipe i use is a cold salad
    mix the couscous with carrots, craisins, dried apricots, mint leaves, toasted pine nuts, red onion, red/yellow peppers, black pepper and coarse salt (everything is diced up real small)
    the dressing is a mixture of cinnamon, orange juice,lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper
    im sorry i cant give you amounts on anything i just kind of wing it each time. but its an amazing recipe soooo refreshing!!

hope you enjoy!
  • bonkers5975
    bonkers5975 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    We cook it in chicken broth and add a little fresh garlic and lots of your favorite fresh herb, chopped up. My fave is basil.:drinker:
  • ctucker07
    ctucker07 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    They all sound great...especially that salad. Yummy! Thanks guys :)
  • prayerfulmom
    Options
    sauted onions, zuccini, and garlic added to cous cous made with low sodium chicken or vegetable broth. ummmm.

or cold with cilantro, tomatoes, onions and garlic.
  • ldbenincasa
    Options
    bump

I have a good one for you, but it will take me a day or two to find it. It is with plain couscous, apples raisins and cinnamon. Super yummy!
  • Daniel78
    Options
    I've been a couscous fan for the past few years and love it! My favorite brand would have to be "Near East." They come in many flavors and always turn out perfectly on the stove top. My personal favorites are the parmesan, herbed chicken, and the roasted garlic & olive oil.

I've tried many types from many stores and the Near East brand is the best for out of the box flavor that I've came across. I'll add a little olive oil with some finely ground white pepper to flavor it so that my wife will eat it. It goes with steak quite nicely, especially pork dishes like pork chops. One thing that I've learned is that trying the plain bags of couscous requires a lot of seasoning or the puppies and trash can get fed well.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Going to copy this direct from source:
    http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/couscous/lentil-basil-couscous

Couscous With Lentils, Tomatoes and Basil

2 Tbs sauteing liquid
    1 med onion, chopped
    1.5 cup water
    1 cup vegetable-cocktail juice (I used V8 with a little picante sauce
    stirred in)
    1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and drained
    1 bay leaf
    1 cup whole wheat couscous
    1 med tomato, coarsely chopped
    1/2 cup chopped fresh basil

Saute onion in liquid of your choice for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Stir
    in the water, juice, lentils, and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce the
    heat to low; cover, and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the lentils
    are soft but not mushy.

Remove the pan from the heat and discard the bay leaf. Stir in the
    couscous, tomatoes, and basil. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes
    or until the couscous is soft. Uncover and fluff with a fork to separate
    the grains, serves 4.

ADORE THIS RECIPE! Also, veggie friendly ;)
  • mindcrime
    Options
    I like cooking it in chicken broth and tossing in some shaved carrot and raisins with a pinch of yellow curry powder.
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I like to make the couscous then add scallions, sun dried tomatoes and feta cheese when it's done :):love: