Eating Routines

Options
I'm curious as to how you all feel when it comes to when you should eat and when you shouldn't or if that even exists. I work a pretty late shift in to the night for my job and I tend to work out when I get off work and then make dinner (very light now that I've joined this website) afterwards. Now I don't always do this depending on what's going on because I'm a huge planner and try to think ahead of time but it doesn't always work that way. My mom always told me eating after 6pm is a no-no but it's hard for somebody who works til 10pm and has lunch at 6pm but still has another meal left considering I will stay up til 12pm or so some nights. I'm concerned that in a few months time, I won't see any results even though I've been exercising and eating better the entire time. Any insight on this would be very helpful! I have a huge goal to conquer but I'm taking it one step at a time right now.

Replies

• irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Eat when you want as long as it fits in your macros. It doesn't matter what time you eat.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    since may i've consistently worked out in the evening before dinner and have seen results if thats any comfort. at the end of the day all that matters is your intake vs output. calories. lol
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Eat when you want as long as it fits in your macros. It doesn't matter what time you eat.
    This!
  • mscrumbyy
    mscrumbyy Posts: 116
    Options
    I've heard mixed things about not eating after certain times of day so I'm not 100% sure how much truth there is in that.

But I often have to eat pretty late on in the evening when I'm at uni full time because I often have to stay behind and then travel for an hour so mostly I try to make sure I have a really big breakfast, a normal lunch and a super light dinner. I think the point with not eating after a certain time is that your body is slowing down and there's less reason to actually be burning off a big meal.
  • runyourbunsoff
    runyourbunsoff Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i am fairly certain that the whole 'no eating after blahblahblah time' is a myth. BUT, on that same note, it's not a great idea to eat carbs after a certain point in the day from what i understand. so maybe make your late night dinner just a protein and a vegetable. but the protein might keep you awake for a bit.
  • Bamberly15
    Bamberly15 Posts: 18
    Options
    i am fairly certain that the whole 'no eating after blahblahblah time' is a myth. BUT, on that same note, it's not a great idea to eat carbs after a certain point in the day from what i understand. so maybe make your late night dinner just a protein and a vegetable. but the protein might keep you awake for a bit.

That's what I've been trying to do is eat veggies and chicken of some sort if I do eat a later dinner. I have definitely been eating a lot lighter later in to the evening. I believe the whole "don't eat after a certain time" is a myth also. Just wondered if anyone else had struggled with it.
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    The no eating after 6/7pm rule is a myth. Here is an article I read recently about dieting myths and I hope it makes you feel better!

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/womenshealth/features/dietmyths.htm
  • Nicopants1314
    Options
    The eating after a certain time thing isn't a myth. People put pounds on because they aren't burning calories when it's just chill/sleep time. Plus if I eat after like 10, it makes me horribly sick in the morning.

But, you don't need to schedule when you eat. You just need to make sure you are eating the right amount of meals at the right portion for you.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    The eating after a certain time thing isn't a myth. People put pounds on because they aren't burning calories when it's just chill/sleep time. Plus if I eat after like 10, it makes me horribly sick in the morning.

But, you don't need to schedule when you eat. You just need to make sure you are eating the right amount of meals at the right portion for you.

you burn calories while sleeping no matter what unless you're dead. your body doesnt know the difference between 7pm and 8am. eating a heavy meal before bed isnt the greatest idea because youre still digesting all that food and it can be uncomfortable, but going to bed hungry because of some silly after 7 rule will keep you awake and unhappy just as much and might even lead to morning binging. listen to your body. if its hungry, eat. (within your limits)
  • runyourbunsoff
    runyourbunsoff Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    it probably makes you sick because you go to bed right after. if she is getting off work, THEN eating dinner, THEN staying up for a few more hours, it's not much different than any other person's schedule, it's just shifted a few hours later.
  • erookjr
    erookjr Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat when I'm hungry or when i feel like. I don't starve myself. It's all in the food choices as well as your calorie bank. That's really it.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think the guidance of not eating after 6 pm is rubbish. It probably served as a cut off time for people who have trouble snacking mindlessly at night. as you described, not everyone has that 9 to 5 work schedule, It doesn't matter what time you eat. It's more about how much you eat and getting proper nutrition and exercise. now, that said, I don't eat a big meal close to bed time, due to it giving me indigestion. , but it's not unlike me to have toast or a glass of milk before bedtime if I am hungry. It is a long time until breakfast. There are a lot of 'rules' that may have had merit at one time, but we learn more as we go, and it's up to us to try things, see what works for ourselves, and weed out the bad advice.
  • RiverDancer68
    RiverDancer68 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I am the hungriest after 7pm and actually closer to 9pm! I have a bowl of cereal, or a spoonful of peanut butter before bed usually. My weight has been pretty stable for over 2 years now, so it works for me!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    The eating after a certain time thing isn't a myth. People put pounds on because they aren't burning calories when it's just chill/sleep time.

This is incorrect.

First of all, you still burn calories in your sleep.
    Second of all, and most importantly, fat gain or fat loss is the difference between fat oxidation and fat storage. The short term processes that occur after a meal are largely irrelevant when you pan out and look at what happens over a larger period of time. Eating in a calorie deficit over time means that fat oxidation will exceed fat storage regardless of what happens in individual snapshots, so to speak.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options

This ^^
    I eat most of my calories at night and have lost most of my weight this way^^
    macros matter too :)
  • Bamberly15
    Bamberly15 Posts: 18
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I greatly appreciate it. Also, if you want, I'm always open to making new friends and I am a great motivator! :)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

^^Truth.

I just had a mondo bowl of cereal then jumped in bed.
    Tomorrow i'll weight a couple pounds less.
    ****ing science is awesome!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

First response = correct response.
  • gatecityradio
    Options

this, when I'm at work I eat whenever it's convenient. I just plan out what I'm going to eat ahead of time and pack my lunch accordingly. When I'm off work I eat when I'm hungry and attempt to stay under my calories, if I go over I work out.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    to quote one of my MFPs...

"calories don't know what time it is"

truth.