Tips to Avoid Numb Thumb When Biking?

Options
love22step
love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
I've been riding my fitness bike (straight handlebar) for a few weeks now. I've tried different hand positions, but the thumb, forefinger, and middle finger on my right hand get numb. My last ride was about 8 miles, and by the time I got home, my thumb was so numb, it was difficult to shift gears. Any tips for me?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    cycling gloves. bar ends.
    put less weight on bar, more on seat.
  • love22step
    Options
    I need to return to the bike store soon, so I'll check out the gloves and bar ends. I try not to put too much weight on my hands.

Thanks for the tips!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    cycling gloves. bar ends.put less weight on bar, more on seat.

Exactly. Sounds like you're putting way too much pressure on your hands and arms, and you're going to have a sore elbow or wrist to go with that thumb soon. Lean back some more to even out your weight between the bars and your seat.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    That's from nerve impingement from too much pressure on your wrists.
  • Ruz456
    Ruz456 Posts: 99
    Options
    That's from nerve impingement from too much pressure on your wrists.

I was just going to say this, do you lean on your wrists while you bike? if you do then this is probably the reason
  • love22step
    Options
    Today, I put more weight on my left hand than on my right hand. The right hand did a little better, and the left hand got a bit numb. I'll have to try raising the handlebar, because, in it's current position, I can't ride without leaning on the handlebar. I'll continue to experiment. Thanks.
  • abbieobrien
    abbieobrien Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Focus on holding in your core muscles while you are riding, lean into the bike keeping your back nice and straight, your hands shoud rest gently on the bars, keep the bars low to eliminate wobble. Aim to keep your body as still as possible with all the movement in your legs.
  • mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You should also try fiddling with all the various adjustments to your handlebars and seat post. The components are all adjustable, so raising the handlebars, increasing or decreasing the angle of the handlebars, and raising and adjusting the seat post and saddle placement for comfort and control is important.

There is a bit of a learning curve to figuring out what works for you, but making small adjustments (0.5 inches at a time) won't hurt. There are tons of videos and websites that will give you specifics on how to make adjustments, but speaking generally, you can fiddle with anything other than brakes and derailleurs without messing up your bike. Your local bike shop should be able to help you, and most of them have classes or seminars on bike maintenance and adjustment.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    If I push to hard on the bars my thumbs will do that. I push my butt back on my saddle and lighten the load on my arms and wrists.
  • love22step
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I'm still experimenting with adjusting the handlebars and seat. So far, I'm not having much luck. My new gloves are padded, but don't seem to make much of a difference. I'm still trying to figure out how to put less weight on my hands. I've tipped the handlebars back so I can sit up straighter, but I don't want to lower the seat. This is more difficult than I imagined. I think I'll take the bike back to the store and ask for guidance. I should have been fitted when I purchased the bike. I'm sure I'll figure it out before too long.