Calling all weight lifters

Options

Replies

• anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered how to introduce weight lifting and my cardio workout at the same time. Before I did 60 minutes of elliptical training. After getting off the machine, it is difficult to continue weight lifting. What I ended up doing few weeks ago is do my cardio in 2 sets. I do 30 minutes. Then stop and do a weight lifting set. After I do another 30 min cardio. Then I complete my second weight lifting. It works better for me.

With that said I alternate my weight lifting exercises with pushing and pulling. Pushing sets are: chest, triceps, shoulders. Pulling sets are: biceps and back. Alternating these will allow your muscles to recover from fatigue.

So, for example I do 30 min cardio, set of shoulder exercises, another 30 min cardio, and complete with chest,

Just my $0.02 Good luck

That's actually not a bad idea! Once I am fully recovered I think I'll start doing that! :)

I wasn't gonna jump on that guy, but no you do not want or need to be doing some kind of bizarre split cardio around weight lifting. Strength training should be done prior to any cardio activities, as it is silly to fatigue yourself prior to doing something where you will need to push yourself as hard as you can, to progressively lift more. It should be the bulk of your workout with cardio being the minority.

Read over the page I gave you, and most of the links to routines will outline this.

Hahah well see that makes sense too! I'm a newbie guys, I need direction! :p (and I will look into the page ;) )
  • anels449
    Options
    Using Free weights will be more beneficial to you and your body than using machines. Free weights you work more muscles because you are balancing the weight on your own plus lifting the weight so you get a more balanced work out and you don't end up with a weak/dominant side. That being said I also LOVE using the TRX basically it uses your own body weight as resistance and you can increase or decrease the resistance with your stance or position. Good luck I'm not going to be much use as far as resources go since I use a PT. I will say that since working with the weights I feel better and know my body is getting much stabler and stronger.

You've been doing such a great job too! I've always heard that free weights are better than machines, I've just never really known much about how to use them minus like curls and stuff.

But the free weights are where the gym rats hang out! Haha! I really should just do it, though. It can't be that bad, right? :p
  • anels449
    Options
    I recently discovered how to introduce weight lifting and my cardio workout at the same time. Before I did 60 minutes of elliptical training. After getting off the machine, it is difficult to continue weight lifting. What I ended up doing few weeks ago is do my cardio in 2 sets. I do 30 minutes. Then stop and do a weight lifting set. After I do another 30 min cardio. Then I complete my second weight lifting. It works better for me.

With that said I alternate my weight lifting exercises with pushing and pulling. Pushing sets are: chest, triceps, shoulders. Pulling sets are: biceps and back. Alternating these will allow your muscles to recover from fatigue.

So, for example I do 30 min cardio, set of shoulder exercises, another 30 min cardio, and complete with chest,

Just my $0.02 Good luck

That's actually not a bad idea! Once I am fully recovered I think I'll start doing that! :)

something I forgot to mention. 60 minutes on machine is awful long time to hang around if you don't watch tv or read book. What I ended up doing is grabbing a 20LB dumbbell. For you might want to start with 5 or 10. And I would do biceps, triceps and shoulders exercises while walking. At the beginning you would think this is a waste of time, but at the end of 60 minutes your arms and shoulders feel like you just got through lifting a car. :) It certainly dropped some fat of my arms and I still got my cardio in at the same time.

Interesting! Not sure if my gym would be too happy with me grabbing some weights and walking on the treadmill, though haha! :)
  • thisisjl
    thisisjl Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

You've been doing such a great job too! I've always heard that free weights are better than machines, I've just never really known much about how to use them minus like curls and stuff.

But the free weights are where the gym rats hang out! Haha! I really should just do it, though. It can't be that bad, right? :p

Really once you just get in there and do it, it's awesome. I couldn't do a push up to save my life if I tried 6 months ago. Now I can get 3/4 of the way down and back up 3 times not the "girly" kind. I'm working towards being able to do a full real pushup by the end of the month. I just feel more toned my tricep "wings" as I called them have almost gone away I've still got a lot of work to do but I don't feel like I'm flappin' away as I'm walking around. I know great visual huh?
  • anels449
    Options

Really once you just get in there and do it, it's awesome. I couldn't do a push up to save my life if I tried 6 months ago. Now I can get 3/4 of the way down and back up 3 times not the "girly" kind. I'm working towards being able to do a full real pushup by the end of the month. I just feel more toned my tricep "wings" as I called them have almost gone away I've still got a lot of work to do but I don't feel like I'm flappin' away as I'm walking around. I know great visual huh?

Hahah I call them Bingo Batwings. :p
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I feel quite comfortable in the weights area of my gym now. People mostly ignore me or are friendly. I'm usually the only one who wants to use the power rack, so I don't get in anyone's way! Just go for it - people are generally nice!

I have a bad knee and a bad back and both have improved since taking up heavy lifting. (Don't take that as medical advice - it's just my experience!). I love lifting, and wish I'd done it years ago.
  • MogwaisGrandma
    MogwaisGrandma Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    As already said go and grab one of the staff off the gym floor. They will be more than happy to take you through a few things.
  • anels449
    Options
    Hahah I really should just jump right in :p I think it's more coming in and not knowing where to start program wise that's the real intimidation. I don't want to go in there looking lost. :p I'll have some awesome reading to do tomorrow! :D
  • thisisjl
    thisisjl Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Can you get a personal trainer for a couple sessions to get you going? I pay like 120 for 3 half hour sessions. That would be enough to get you started.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Hahah I really should just jump right in :p I think it's more coming in and not knowing where to start program wise that's the real intimidation. I don't want to go in there looking lost. :p I'll have some awesome reading to do tomorrow! :D

Good for you! Know this, just doing that reading, and watching a few videos on form, will put you ahead of the pack. Many, many of the people there have no idea what they're doing, and are only indoctrinated by the hand-me-down information that their equally uneducated bro's gave them. A little bit of knowledge goes a long way in the gym.

If you really want to get in to the nitty gritty of strength training, I recommend Rippletoe's Starting Strength book, but what you have planned to read up on will start you off on the right foot. (the one with the healthy knee, hehe)
  • anels449
    Options
    Can you get a personal trainer for a couple sessions to get you going? I pay like 120 for 3 half hour sessions. That would be enough to get you started.

They're pretty expensive at my gym, but it may be beneficial to do it.
  • anels449
    Options

Good for you! Know this, just doing that reading, and watching a few videos on form, will put you ahead of the pack. Many, many of the people there have no idea what they're doing, and are only indoctrinated by the hand-me-down information that their equally uneducated bro's gave them. A little bit of knowledge goes a long way in the gym.

If you really want to get in to the nitty gritty of strength training, I recommend Rippletoe's Starting Strength book, but what you have planned to read up on will start you off on the right foot. (the one with the healthy knee, hehe)

Hahah this is very true! :D

Bahahah, I'll be hobbling along for awhile. Just call me Captain Anels until I heal up :p
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    As you know, I've been doing New Rules of Lifting for Women. I'm in stage 5 of 7 now. I've never lifted before in my life, so it's worked well for me as a beginner. I've heard excellent things about Starting Strength and Stronglifts as well. I think once I'm finished NROL4W, I'm going to try Starting Strength. I have heard that both Starting Strength and Stronglifts go into great detail about form, so it's definitely beneficial reading. Any of the 3 are great programs so you can't go wrong.

I can tell you not to listen to the guy about splitting cardio and strength. Sometimes due to my schedule I do them onthe same day but it's not recommended. I always do strength first though. Also, avoid isolation machines. Free weights are the way to go.

Since I'm on my phone and it's hard to go back and edit without deleting everything, I want to mention that it seems like New Rules is more complicated than the other 2 mentioned.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Ladies have unique needs that I couldn't address given that what works for me may not be the best program for a female seeking peak fitness.
    For cardio, do what you enjoy and what produces results.
    As for the specifics of your resistance program, just see what has worked for others in your position who have achieved what you seek.
    Here are some sites to give you ideas.

http://www.stumptuous.com/
    http://www.weightliftingforwomen.net/
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/

I know what works for me, and the main item that spells success is just the doing of something that targets every muscle group in the body.

It's work.
    The planning and the doing is just work, and you need to go to those sites and educate yourself without relying too much on the advice on others who may not know too much.
    Learn from the experts, then decide what your goals are and move from there.

All Is Possible!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I had/have a knee injury and I found StrongLifts 5x5 to be better than NROLFW as there are aren't any lunges.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Lol,I totally grunt when I lift. Its involuntary,occasionally an 'rrrrrgh' just slips out!!
  • anels449
    Options
    As you know, I've been doing New Rules of Lifting for Women. I'm in stage 5 of 7 now. I've never lifted before in my life, so it's worked well for me as a beginner. I've heard excellent things about Starting Strength and Stronglifts as well. I think once I'm finished NROL4W, I'm going to try Starting Strength. I have heard that both Starting Strength and Stronglifts go into great detail about form, so it's definitely beneficial reading. Any of the 3 are great programs so you can't go wrong.

I can tell you not to listen to the guy about splitting cardio and strength. Sometimes due to my schedule I do them onthe same day but it's not recommended. I always do strength first though. Also, avoid isolation machines. Free weights are the way to go.

Since I'm on my phone and it's hard to go back and edit without deleting everything, I want to mention that it seems like New Rules is more complicated than the other 2 mentioned.

Looks like I'll have to venture into free weight land after all haha! I really should have paid attention during the weight lifting segment in high school. :p
  • anels449
    Options
    Ladies have unique needs that I couldn't address given that what works for me may not be the best program for a female seeking peak fitness.
    For cardio, do what you enjoy and what produces results.
    As for the specifics of your resistance program, just see what has worked for others in your position who have achieved what you seek.
    Here are some sites to give you ideas.

http://www.stumptuous.com/
    http://www.weightliftingforwomen.net/
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/

I know what works for me, and the main item that spells success is just the doing of something that targets every muscle group in the body.

It's work.
    The planning and the doing is just work, and you need to go to those sites and educate yourself without relying too much on the advice on others who may not know too much.
    Learn from the experts, then decide what your goals are and move from there.

All Is Possible!

Awesome, thanks! More reading for at work! :D
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest you get a trainer who can watch your form and teach you the basics. Simply for safety reasons and to avoid making bad habits.
  • anels449
    Options
    I had/have a knee injury and I found StrongLifts 5x5 to be better than NROLFW as there are aren't any lunges.

That's really good to know actually. As of right now, I don't think I'll be doing much of anything, can't even put pressure on it. But in a couple of days when I can actually be mobile, keeping the same gym schedule would be nice, even if I'm doing something else.