Flat irons ?

Options
k900
k900 Posts: 140 Member
I had a chi when i was in high school and it lasted about four years. Then the cord came apart. I bought a remington t pearl flat iron from target and it's okay but definitely not as good as i want. I also noticed that the chi kind of damaged my hair even though i was using a heat protection spray.

I think it's time for a new one. If i have to pay more for one that works well that's fine with me. I have naturally curly/wavy hair and it's pretty thick. I also color my hair so the less damage the better for me.

What flat iron do you use ?
Any suggestions on irons and/or hair products ?

Replies

• YokoJ
    YokoJ Posts: 253
    Options
    I use a chi
  • dizzydi1968
    dizzydi1968 Posts: 564
    Options
    I have VERY curly hair and GHDs are a gift from the gods. Pretty expensive at over 100 pounds but mine are 5 years old and still doing good.

I literally couldn't live without them.

Be careful on the internet though as there are a lot of fakes out there.
  • lindserly
    lindserly Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I used a Chi a while back and when it eventually stopped working my hair dresser said not to buy the chi again as the quality of them had gone down significantly. now I use a paul mitchell one. I like it, it works, but I still feel like there has to be a better one out there for my hair. I have frizzy loose curls, I need something that takes the poufiness out of my hair
  • LatinaPuppyLover
    Options
    Solia, look it up. Way better than chi and fair price
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends on your hair type, how much you straighten it and what product you use.
    I have dry, curly hair and I try not to straighten it much anymore. If I have to I use frizz serum and leave in conditioner all that.
    I have a chi.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I bought the one out of the mall kiosk! idk what the name of it is, but I think it works really well. and the products I use are definitely a big help too.
  • pinkprincess1952
    pinkprincess1952 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have a bed head one, but I dont use it anymore, because my fiancee likes my hair wavey and curly... not streight...
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I had a total moment of infomercial-madness and bought an InStyler and I LOVE it. It heats super hot, but the barrel rotates so it doesn't seem like it gets any hot spots like some of my other flat irons seemed to get, and its got bristles so it helps to keep your hair from creasing while you straighten. Apparently it will add volume to your roots if you hold it in one place but I've never tried it, though having the option is cool. It was pricey, but I'm really happy I gave into the very convincing infomercal

PS: I also have thick, color treated wavy and STUBBORN hair
  • greenmisty
    greenmisty Posts: 24
    Options
    I have a Mica Beauty one and it's amazing! Way worth the price!
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I had a Babyliss...but now my hair is way too short to use. LOVED it.
  • fitterhappiermoreproductive
    Options
    http://goo.gl/pSjuf << I use this one, which was purchased for me by my hairstylist directly. I trust her 100% on everything. I have very long, medium-thick, wavy hair that is fairly easy to straighten but also can become very dry. This has been great for keeping the dead or damaged flyaways under control.
  • nothing1994
    nothing1994 Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I use chi too. Mines like brand new and I've had it about... 5 years :D Love it
  • LauraTheStylist
    Options
    Thick/curly hair straightens faster with a good quality straightener with ceramic and tourmaline plates. Ceramic produces gentle heating and tourmaline releases negative ions to smooth out hair and speed up the whole process. You need a straightener with heat settings too, that's always important.

With this in mind, I recommend the Karmin G3 salon pro styling iron. I use this one and their Titanium version at my salon, but I think the G3 is better and it makes hair much much shinier. It has settings up to 460°F (so REALLY fast straightening) and the results are long lasting. It has dual voltage, heat mat, bag and instructions for styling. It really is worth every cent, you can get it online at beyas.ca, folica, ryless or google it and you'll find other sites.
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Rusk! You will never find a better flat iron or better hair dryer than the Rusk products. I like Speed Freak (blow dryer) and Heat Freak (flat iron). Definitely check those out.
  • juicy011
    juicy011 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I useTresemme heat tamer spray and it doesn't matter what brand of flat-iron, but how high the heat. if you have thick curly hair like me, then your best bet is an iron that goes up to 450 degrees. It will leave your hair silky in about half the time it takes an lower heat iron.You can't usually find them with that high of a temperature at walmart or target....but they have them at Sally's and places like TJmaxx & Marshalls. I got mine at TJmaxx last year, I forget the brand name but it has ceramic plates and goes to 450 deg and was I think $60......it works great!!!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe no one suggested my king of all flat irons-- T3 tourmaline iron. I can't recommend it more highly-- heats to 450, is fast, has a great non-curling cord, warranty for 2 years.

http://www.sephora.com/singlepass-professional-straightening-styling-iron-P257526

Worth every single penny.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    How often do you flat iron?

Do you like your curls/waves?
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I useTresemme heat tamer spray and it doesn't matter what brand of flat-iron, but how high the heat. if you have thick curly hair like me, then your best bet is an iron that goes up to 450 degrees. It will leave your hair silky in about half the time it takes an lower heat iron.You can't usually find them with that high of a temperature at walmart or target....but they have them at Sally's and places like TJmaxx & Marshalls. I got mine at TJmaxx last year, I forget the brand name but it has ceramic plates and goes to 450 deg and was I think $60......it works great!!!

450 degrees will FRY your hair. You should not flat iron at that temp!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I have a Solia that I love. Works better than the Chi I had.
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. This is good info to know.

I have a Chi; it's ok. I don't just love it, but it's not bad either.