Water... too much too little?

Options
Zangpakto
Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
Ok, hello all,

I know I make weird comments occasionally and do know however I don't intend to come across as rude, I just happen to write like that for some reason, I guess managing a company kind of changes you huh?

Anyway, I want to know how much water should I exactly be getting?

At moment as weird as it sounds, because I am a male, I pay no attention to how much glasses I drink, I go by my pee colour...

If it is clear clear, I sip maybe a little every once and a while for my thirst I guess... if it starts get slight yellow, I drink a bit more, and if it gets that dark yellow (Normally in morning only), then I down 1-2 glasses and then drink as normal again.

Is this a reliable way to work out how much water I should have? I mean I have always done it this way and makes sense, however I do know I go to the toilet also a lot more frequently than anyone else I know...

So, I guess my question is, is this normal? Or an unusual way to measure your fluid intake haha

Replies

• melry77
    melry77 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't think its unusual but I don't think its ok lol. By the time your urine is dark, your body is already in trouble. Try carrying a gallon of water with you everywhere with the goal of drinking it by the end of the day, consistently throughout the day, every single day. I think after a few days your body will adjust and crave this much water and will stop retaining water and you will feel the difference (also after a few days you will stop looking for a bathroom everywhere you go lol) Your urine should never be dark, even in the morning.
  • StartingAtSixty
    StartingAtSixty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    http://nutrition.about.com/od/hydrationwater/a/waterarticle.htm

Maybe this will help answer your question..
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    MFP says 8 glasses....just do that and keep it all straightforward and easy.
    That covers your bases.
    Let's not start analyzing urine - my God!
    Just keep it simple.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Welll..... Yes, your pee is a good indication of proper hydration. But you shouldn't wait til it starts getting darker to hydrate. It's just like if you wait til you're thirsty to drink you're already dehydrated. I don't think you have to monitor it that closesly, but you should make sure to always stay properly hydrated. Just makes you healthier, keeps toxins out of your body, and helps with weight loss. I drink 15-20 cups a day, regardless of pee color. ;)
  • sharlowbrla
    Options
    8 glasses is a general goal. You are actually supposed to take your weight and divide it by two. That is how many ounces you should have. So the larger your size, the more water.
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Too much (causing hyponatremia) is far more dangerous and deadly than too little. And, strangely enough, the dehydration issue and accompanying scare tactics seem to have cropped up right around the time Gatorade went into mass production.

According to the book "Runner's Body," marathoners used to boast about finishing a marathon without any liquid (or food) intake. Not to say that this is ideal, but that too little water intake does not seem to have near the negative impact as many old wives' tales, exercise enthusiasts, and coaches would lead one to believe.

In short, follow your thirst. Unless you have a genetic issue(s) that affects your thirst response, your body will definitely tell you when it wants water.
  • Theresal77
    Theresal77 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    8 glasses is a general goal. You are actually supposed to take your weight and divide it by two. That is how many ounces you should have. So the larger your size, the more water.

I find it interesting that the more you weight the more water you should consume. Does anyone know the reason why? If I do the calculation my goal would be 15 glasses per day. Granted I have been working hard to reach this goal. Today I have reached 10 so far and am sure I will be able to make my 15 glasses.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

I think this is correct. My urologist did a 24hr urine collection, and it takes 12-15 cups of water ( about 100-120oz) for me to have the proper urine output. If I do the math, at my starting weight I would need 14.5 cups a day, and now I need 12.5 cups a day.