Why are calories such "round" numbers?

Options
Erihppas
Erihppas Posts: 121 Member
Hey guys!

I've noticed that when I buy foods from African and Asian Markets, the calories on their nutrition labels rarely end in 0.

Example, Vermicelli Noodles 2 oz - 174 calories; Plantain Chips - 463 calories/bag, Palm Oil 192 calories/2tbs

It seems as though their calorie count is more... exact.
I've just looked through my entire pantry and refrigerator and have yet to find the same for my "non-ethnic-store-bought" food.

Silk -70 calories, Whole Grain Pasta 180 calories, Chicken Sausage - 80 calories...

What do you guys think? Why the rounding?

Replies

• delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    Bump. This is a good question!
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    It is probably just a standard set by the FDA. The European standards are probably more exact. Not much help I know....
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I think the FDA gives a 5-10 calorie "gimme" for food companies. This is why things like mustard, pickles and hot sauce have 0 calories per serving, even though if you eat a whole jar, it obviously can't be zero calories.
  • Erihppas
    Options
    Hey Moe, that's helpful! I can see them being more of sticklers about calorie content.

I never truly thought that I was sticking to a 1500 calorie count, what with two of my measuring cups having different amounts for what's one cup... and I never really did trust the calories on the labels. In the end though I can't argue with results, I know it's a very insignificant amt. in the end, and no matter what the weight is coming off.

Thanks Rachel, I'm hoping they round up instead of down!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    One spinach and herb tortilla from the "ole" brand is 74 calories. Lol.

And a few calories isn't really going to make any difference so I never really thought much of the rounding.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    So, if it's 32 or 35 or 230 or 232, you think someone will be distraught? I think on this site, people freak out about stuff like that. But, it's silly. It's an estimate. I even think they are ridicuouly off just becasue no two people burn food the same. Do you think my grandpa and me burn calories exactly the same. So, if I eat ice cream and he eats ice cream, it's the same 200 calories, or whatever? Hell no. It's completely different. So, it's all just bullsh*t. It's a silly estimate. WTH are calories anyway? An estimated amount of energy, what ever the hell that means.
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Interesting...
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    The Fda requires that food labels be accurate within +/- 20%. Saying that something has 98.34 calories would look very precise, but would be no more accurate than saying 100. Either one is an estimate that the calories are between 80 and 120.
  • Erihppas
    Options
    Oh. Definitely didn't realize that asking a question was considered "freaking out"... Freaking out? Hm.. no, there are definitely more important things to be worried about than 3-4 calories. However, this is a fitness and nutrition site and for me, knowledge is power.

Thanks treetop, that's definitely the most helpful response! :)
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I thought the FDA standards allowed for like 10% error, which is a lot of you think about it. Same reason diet coke now has 0 calories even though for years it had 1. lol
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    The Fda requires that food labels be accurate within +/- 20%. Saying that something has 98.34 calories would look very precise, but would be no more accurate than saying 100. Either one is an estimate that the calories are between 80 and 120.

oops! Didn't see this one!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It's an approximation, just like calories burned.
  • shrinkingirl
    Options
    So, it's all just bullsh*t. It's a silly estimate. WTH are calories anyway? An estimated amount of energy, what ever the hell that means.

A calorie is the amount of energy it takes the raise the temperature of one gram of water 1 degree C.
    What you're seeing on the food package is actually kilocalories.
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I have literlly thought about that before hahhahaha
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    It's all a guess, so why not use a round number?
    The truth is calorie counts vary with each bite but not by much.
    It's all just to get you close.
    That's as good as it's going to get.