fasting benefits?

Options
does anyone know of any fasting benefits or why it would help with weight loss?

Replies

• wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I only fast from one meal to the next. I never saw any benefit to fasting, and prefer to eat several times a day to maintain my energy level.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i fast to make sure i get into ketosis as fast as i can, usually in 24-48 hours. (particularly helpful after a cheat day)
    if i eat, it's protein/fat like steak or chicken.
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    If you find passing out to be a benefit....
  • jmoralesx5
    jmoralesx5 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You know I've tried lots of things but fasting only really has short-term effects for me. If you are overeating or eating the wrong foods then you need to take care of that habit directly. Get in a healthy balanced diet. I'm on "The 17 day diet" and that has helped me lose 15 pounds in just 18 days. But it really depends on what you are looking to do and why.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Generally, the benefits that people share from a fast have nothing to do with weight loss. You will likely lose weight during the fast, but it generally doesn't stay off. Why do you need to lose it so quickly? Now, if you are talking about IF, there is a lot of information if you search the forums and the web.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I am not big on fasting, but the benefit to me was learning how to deal with resisting my cravings.
    It's like that pain you feel exercising.
    In a fast it was totally miserable, but afterward, I was a bit stronger overcoming my urges to eat like a government mule.
    And some people tout a fast for a whole bunch of other healthy reasons....that, I don't know about.

I have only done it twice and for half a day.
    The fast Nazi's would have me stoned, but that's as good as it gets.
    Good Luck :smokin:
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    If you find passing out to be a benefit....

Why would she pass out? :huh:

Anyway, fasting will result in weight loss simply because you're not eating which reduces your caloric intake. There are benefits but its not the safest method for someone who's on a "diet". If you want to regularly include it into your life you can look into intermittent fasting.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I eat 6, 7, or 8 small meals a day so I'm never more than a couple of hours from having something to eat. I can't imagine the horror of a fasting diet! Each to their own though. I am certain I wouldn't have nearly enough energy for an intensive workout
  • victoria4321
    Options
    I eat 6, 7, or 8 small meals a day so I'm never more than a couple of hours from having something to eat. I can't imagine the horror of a fasting diet! Each to their own though. I am certain I wouldn't have nearly enough energy for an intensive workout

Where do you find the time to eat so often, I'm curious? Or do you eat a lot of prepackaged foods?
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Eat, Stop, Eat method prefers 24hr fasts twice per week, and leangains.com prefers 16hr fasts daily (including sleep)... Both work really well.... And allow you to stay on a less restrictive diet. If your BMR is 1500, you will burn 1500 calories in 25hrs by simply not eating. No you will not starve, will not go into starvation mode, etc. You will lose water, and fat... Water you gain back.... Fat you wont. It will also keep your glucose levels in check, and stop the sugar high and sugar crashes that mousy people associate with being hypoglycemic, even though they have never been tested (only 5-10% are).

Personally I prefer the 8/16 leangain.com cycle, as it allows me to eat from 11am - 7pm, which for me is quite a normal schedule. And for those that think you need to keep your metabolism burning by feeding the engine, what do you think all the fat you have is for?
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    And for those that think you need to keep your metabolism burning by feeding the engine, what do you think all the fat you have is for?
    [/quote] Thank god, some sanity...
  • Wonderob
    Options

Where do you find the time to eat so often, I'm curious? Or do you eat a lot of prepackaged foods?

Well when I say 'meal' I mean a 300-400 calorie snack/meal, Usually have a chicken roll for lunch, veg and chicken for dinner, something for breakfast, and in between I have 300 - 400 calorie snakcs such as bananas and a glass of milk and a protein bar

I'm aware that I have too many protein bars and the like, but I'm not striving for the perfect diet, just one that works and keeps my macros decent
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I don't know about fasting completely...I have had a bad week this week food wise and have decided today that I'll have 2 Atkins shakes and a healthy dinner (no snacks in between). I feel kinda gross for all the bad stuff I've had and I'm hoping this will make me feel better and get me back on track. I would suggest something more like that instead a complete fast. But I don't see how one day of fasting will hurt anyone. It just may make you eat unhealthy things the next day because you are so hungry though. Just be careful. I wouldn't exercise on the day that you fast either.
  • Wonderob
    Options
    And for those that think you need to keep your metabolism burning by feeding the engine, what do you think all the fat you have is for?
    Thank god, some sanity...
    [/quote]

Yes, your metabolism will continue and won't be affected, however.... your short term energy may well be affected, why do you think professional sportsmen are often seen eating bananas and replenishing energy with drinks

A boxer will typically make sure he has food a couple of hours before a fight so that it is digested and can fuel his energy
  • Qskim
    Options

Yes, your metabolism will continue and won't be affected, however.... your short term energy may well be affected, why do you think professional sportsmen are often seen eating bananas and replenishing energy with drinks

A boxer will typically make sure he has food a couple of hours before a fight so that it is digested and can fuel his energy
    [/quote]

True if I were a boxer!!
  • Wonderob
    Options
    Y

True if I were a boxer!!
    [/quote]

Personally I'd want to avoid diminished energy levels whether I was fighting for the world heavyweight boxing title, or kicking a ball about in the garden with my lad
  • Qskim
    Options
    Sigh, I'm not going to bother....where's that football..
  • victoria4321
    Options

True if I were a boxer!!

Personally I'd want to avoid diminished energy levels whether I was fighting for the world heavyweight boxing title, or kicking a ball about in the garden with my lad
    [/quote]

Your body can adjust to less frequent eating quite easily. You pretty much have to train yourself to eat so often in the first place to depend on quick energy sources.

Now if you had very low fat stores, then its a different story.
  • sportybrewerschick
    sportybrewerschick Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I don't know about fasting completely...I have had a bad week this week food wise and have decided today that I'll have 2 Atkins shakes and a healthy dinner (no snacks in between). I feel kinda gross for all the bad stuff I've had and I'm hoping this will make me feel better and get me back on track. I would suggest something more like that instead a complete fast. But I don't see how one day of fasting will hurt anyone. It just may make you eat unhealthy things the next day because you are so hungry though. Just be careful. I wouldn't exercise on the day that you fast either.

yeah, that is exactly how i am.. i hate SOOO MUCH that i couldn't even walk :/
  • mollyW2012
    mollyW2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Eat, Stop, Eat method prefers 24hr fasts twice per week, and leangains.com prefers 16hr fasts daily (including sleep)... Both work really well.... And allow you to stay on a less restrictive diet. If your BMR is 1500, you will burn 1500 calories in 25hrs by simply not eating. No you will not starve, will not go into starvation mode, etc. You will lose water, and fat... Water you gain back.... Fat you wont. It will also keep your glucose levels in check, and stop the sugar high and sugar crashes that mousy people associate with being hypoglycemic, even though they have never been tested (only 5-10% are).

Personally I prefer the 8/16 leangain.com cycle, as it allows me to eat from 11am - 7pm, which for me is quite a normal schedule. And for those that think you need to keep your metabolism burning by feeding the engine, what do you think all the fat you have is for?

Totally agree with this. Lots of people believe fasting is bad for you, starves your body of nutrients, etc.... but if you really exam the above methods of fasting one day a week, it has many benefits. I have tried eating until 5pm one day, then not eating again until 5 pm the next day. You still eat both days, just with a large gap in between. Helps me cut some calories and helps in other ways.