Just Wondering Question?

Options
Would excersising in extreme cold burn more calories, or extreme heat?

The emotional side of me says heat, because you're sweating more, and my brain tells me more sweat; more of a work out.

The Science side of my brain says it's cold because it takes calories to maintain your body tempurature, and heat goes where there is not heat. So your body would constantly be trying to keep you warm as the heat you produced is carried away from the body.

Replies

• neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    good question.....
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Cold. Cooling the body is passive; heating it is active.
  • SDawgW
    SDawgW Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Plus I saw on Mythbusters that you are able to meet your maximum workout threshold if you start from a cooler body temp. Thus I would imagine that if your temp stays on the cool side, your endurance would be sustained for a longer period. But that's extrapolating onto their findings.
  • gabrielled
    gabrielled Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I think like a wrestler!! Now, don't go out and run in garbage bags or anything, but if I don't work up a good sweat when I work out (and this might just by psychological), I don't FEEL like I worked out as hard.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I read a couple articles on this and the reality is that the difference in calorie burn is really minimal. So, it doesn't really matter. Might as well be comfortable. Or at least as comfortable as possible.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I read a couple articles on this and the reality is that the difference in calorie burn is really minimal. So, it doesn't really matter. Might as well be comfortable. Or at least as comfortable as possible.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't make that big a difference. It's just something my wife and I were discussing.
    We pretty much do all of our cardio outside. Since Fall starts next week we were discussing about changes in our routine for increased darkness and falling temps.

I prefer warmer almost hot temperuatures. A lot of the reasons why are probably more mental than reality based. I feel my muscles are easier to stretch out, and it's easier to breath when it's warm/hot. I just feel like I get a better work out.

Back to the Wrestler comment. When I was wrestling in HS it would be common to lose 15 lbs of water in a 2 hour practice....that was just in shorts and a t-shirt. I never wreslted below my weight natural weight class.

I know this comment might make some people mad. But I chuckle when I see people come in here trying to lose just 10 lbs. I think to myself, "I know how we can do that in 24 hours. You won't like it. Your clothes won't fit any better, and it will all come back once you eat or drink something, but it can be done."
  • gabrielled
    gabrielled Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm smiling about that one!! My middle son is a wrestler, and on the heavier side, and we always talk about the benefits of dropping that water weight versus the benefits of feeling good when you wrestle. Guess which one usually wins? Yep, he eats dinner the night before.

But doesn't it do something to your mentality when you are dripping sweat from your fingertips after a workout? Don't you feel like you really did something?